IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on putting a new coat of ? on the bottom of the 16 ft Willie. How much is needed to redo the bottom? Current condition is major scrapes with most of the original coating gone.

Product wise I'm leaning to using Coat-it?

Words of wisdom on this project would be appreciated. The main question is how much Coat-it do I need to buy?

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Coat It is what you want to use.

Glop it on thick.

A gallon is a good start. It sorta depends on how much you are filling in.

Make sure you keep it warn and ventilated wherever you do it.

I did ours in the summer months, when warm and dry was pretty easy. Curing time may be longer in the cold.

Good Glopping.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I did ours in the summertime also. It takes forever to dry in the cool damp weather. I sanded smooth the edges and scrapes of the old coat and bought a cheap styrafoam pad roll and put on 1 qt. coat it. I used one quart knowing that it was going to get knicked and scraped and will put a new coat on again then.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thumbs up on Coat it. I sanded the bottom of my 16ft DB this summer when it was warm and put on a new coat. The previous owner had also used coat it instead of gluvit, so only sanding was needed instead of total removal. 1 gallon did the trick like Flatfish said.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
It is amazing what you learn after clanging 1,934,937,235,834,443 rocks with one boat.

Do not get the goop in your armpit hairs! :shocked: Do not ask me how I know this. Or what it feels like to remove said pit hairs. Lets just say I read it on the internet.

Mark and "Patches" the dog.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my gallon of Coat It. Now into the heated shop, flip the boat over and go at it. Thanks for the advice.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts