IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal ? :mad:
Why are our Willamette system DPM's(DPM = dead pikeminnow) not as good as Columbia River DPM's ? :whazzup:
I want $5 / fish too.

Seems like there is plenty of them, and they have smaller concentrations of easily preyed upon bait balls traveling down the systems rivers.
Molalla DPM's ought to pay double !
Native and hatchery fish proponents should agree. :cheers: Show us the Money! :grin:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I agree, but BPA sponsors the Columbia Pikeminnow bounty program because that is the river they are directly affecting and they are trying to "pay for their sins." The slower water behind the dams make life easier on the pikeminnows, so this is their way of making up for it.

Interesting thing for those who haven't heard is that BPA is going to cut funding for the Pikeminow Porgram by half next year. Some like the wise director of WDFW were trying to completely eliminate the program and use the money for tooth-tangle research. :hoboy: Another reason I don't like that guy. It's always easy to see who's back-pocket he is in. Anyway no telling what will happen to the program next year because of the reduction. $2/********* instead of $4?

[ 07-10-2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Bounty Hunter ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I coulda swore those fish look just like the ********* in the Columbia. I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal but I know it happens everyday. :cheers:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
FNF: Almost but not exactly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To bad about the reduction.

Seems like the system is working real good, and needs to be further promoted. SO who does foot the bill for the dams on the Willamette ? And why can't the same practice be applied there as well ?
A DPM is a DPM no matter where it swims belly up. :grin:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Originally posted by FEAR NO FISH!:
I coulda swore those fish look just like the ********* in the Columbia. I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal but I know it happens everyday. :cheers:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">A couple of wise guys tried to cheat a few years back...they were getting hundreds & hundreds of ********* in the upper Columbia near Grand Coulee Dam (outside the program area)...and bringing them way downriver to collect the bounty. But, they were a little too slick, too glib, suspicions were aroused and they were found out, charged with defrauding the govt. and severely whacked (in court). :wink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
One of the things the techs at the check-in station look for, is whether the fish you bring 'em look like they have been caught ----after you registered. (Not been frozen etc.) Some even claim to be able to tell if the fish was caught in a tributary, by the diference in coloration of their fins???
I think any PM caught from the CR or major tributaries should be part of the bounty. What about the 9" minimum lenghth for reward??? :whazzup: Are they trying to sustain the fishery???

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are off topic. :rolleyes:
That's ok at least it's getting some play, but those guys should have been paid for their efforts rather than fined. :grin:
A DPM IS A DPM !
I wanna turn in my DPMs for money too.
ANd while we are at it let's get serious about a few other pests, and give a river rat the ability to make an honest living.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've noticed over the past four weeks that there can be a big difference in the coloration of a PM depending where it came from. I caught some really yellow ones in Merwin while kokanee fishing, then I caught a silver bullet that looked like a trout ( but it was a PM) on the John Day while catfishing. Then I saw a picture of a green ********* from Canada. The ones on the Columbia seem to have just a slight yellow tinge to them.

Oh and to get back on topic. This is the only Fish Bounty program in the US (from what I have heard) so a Willamette 'river rat' should feel fortunate to have the chance and just make sure he's fishing within 400 feet from the Columbia. :cheers:

[ 07-10-2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Bounty Hunter ]

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
The reason is the source of the funding. The ********* (I refuse to use the PC name) program is funded by BPA as a mitigation os the placement of dams. The idea is that there are many impacts on salmon returns, ********* are one, and it's cheaper to mitigate the ********* impact than to take some other measures. I believe there are also concerns that the existance of the dams increases the ability of the ********* to prey on smolts, as well.

So, since the Willamette isn't BPA territory, and Willamette fish don't contribute to upriver Columbia salmon, no money for Willamette *********.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We got dams on the Willamette and an overabundance of PM with a precious few smolt who face a grueling ride down the Willamette, and need our protection. Somebody needs to pony up ! I want my money for my DPM throughout all these systems. One DPM over 9" is worth how many smolt ? One a day ? How many thousands of 9" + pm's are out there ? 100 smolt/year X 1000 pm is 1 million smolt. 100/ year is heavy, but if 10 smolt/year/PM X 100,000 9"+ PM = 1 million smolt eaten. The PM needs to become a DPM. Get the money from multiple sources. Tax those who have created the imbalance or are profiting from the recreation provided. COme on this is a good thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts