IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was a beautiful evening on the river, nice and calm no waves out going tide, so nice to catch one 43'' and enjoy the sunset..... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
That's my kind of fishin, I took the kids after work on the 1st and our first fish was a 43 1/2" keeper. It's great to have a good sturgeon fishery in our back yard. I heard some of the Willamette fish aren't migratory from odfw. I guess you don't want to keep to many.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
KingFisher- I have caught two fish in the big Willy with ODFW tags in them. One was Youngs Bay and the other was Battle Ground Washington. I think those critters migrate more than a lot of people think. As long as they are below the falls, they will follow the food source. Fresh fish that migrate from the ocean will be bright and have sharp scutes on the sides.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Below the bridge is where we fish and both fish have been very light grey with sharp scuts, also meat was nice and white. You will know if you get one thats been there awhile but thats another story...( STG RULE do small sturgeon 43-50 think they are ready to spawn as I have found sacks that look like sperm sacks in them at this time of year and month or so earlier????)not this year as it was closed earlier :grin: :grin: :grin:

[ 07-09-2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Sturgeon 42 ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Tacklebuster is right, it is pretty easy to tell if the fish is a "native" or if it is a traveler. The locals will be dark and have worn down scutes.

I don't know if I'd eat anything out of the channel though. Some of those just have to be mutants no matter how long they have been in there. :wink: Just my opinion...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congrats on the fish. Were you above or below St. Johns?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts