IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out early this morning in hopes of catching anything. Got alot of lite bites, but they didnt hang around log enough to take the hook. Tried the grain elevator area, shenanagins,and sellwood. I have yet to land anything in my new boat, 4 months old now :depressed: , and Ive put atleat 100 hours of salmon/sturgeon fishing. Pleas send good ju-ju my way.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you are new to the sturgeon fishing you may need to expirement with setting the hook. Some guys wait for the rod to buckly but I prefer, especially on lite biting days, to hold by rod and at the first hint of a strike setting the hook. Good luck. I will be at the St. Johns ramp in the a.m. tomorrow morning heading for Kelly Point.

[ 07-12-2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Grits ]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I also bought a new boat four months ago and yet to catch a fish for the barby. Have caught quite a few shaker sturgeon and a couple drive bys on salmon. Oh yeah, did good on shad but thats just makin bait. Need to get rid of the skunk!!!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Froggy,
What gear are you using in the lower river? For those light biters, I use salmon gear. A 12-25# rated rod and an ambassadeur spooled with 50# Tuff Line. Have a much better hook up ratio that when I use the meat sticks. I only use the heavy stuff below the dam where there is a good chance of picking up one of the big boys. I think the salmon gear gives you a much better feel. You can really feel them pick up your bait and drop it. Just a matter of timing.

Hang in there, your time will come.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I am launching from the Gleason ramp tomorrow morning (Sunday) and heading for Kelly Point. Never fished there before. Which would be better, the Columbia at Kelly Point, or up the Willamette where it enters the Columbia near Kelly Point, our up Multnomah Channel from Kelly Point? Also, this far up the river, when the tide starts coming in, is the sturgeon fishing pretty much over for the day? I am pretty new at sturgeon fishing. Caught 9 shakers last weekend in Multnohmah Channel from the Scappose end. These were my first sturgeon - lots of fun, but now I want to catch a keeper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.