·
Registered
11,270 Posts
....and how many years until this issue is resolved?? :hoboy:

:depressed:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Absolutly maddening.Where are the environmentalists when you actually need them.And i dont want to hear that "its a big river and it gets dilluted" like some suggested on this site the last time a spill happened, it dosent make it right. :mad:

[ 05-15-2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
As was discussed a couple of times earlier this year, it is being worked on. Here is the link to the City of Portlands website that describes the process in detail that they are going through to fix the problems. Enlighten yourself rather than just complain..... :hoboy:

100 years of development doesn't just change overnight..... :hoboy:

And "NO" I don't work for the city or the state. I have no connection to them.

Steve

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Write the City of Portland a check for a couple of BILLION dollars that you have laying around in some forgotten checking account and it will get fixed faster. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
100 years of development doesn't just change overnight
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The first spill was yesterday? Its still a terrible and nasty thing. Condoms and well you get the picture, floating down stream. Yes were all happy something is being done but that dosent make it any easier for us to swallow (ugh)Besides Steelie Steve its only human nature to complain, and in this case rightfully so.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yea sad how Portland tries to make itself appear like it's an environmantally freindly city. Then you get hear and realize it isn't so. They need to shift some priorities.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why is everybody so upset about this? It could be worse. They could be dumping fish poop into the river. :shocked: HJ

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I've often wondered if the local governments would respond faster if video of the floating condoms, used feminine hygiene products and wrinkle neck trout were aired on the news. Maybe a 60 minutes or Dateline piece? I know they are working on a solution, but it sure seems like it's taking along time.

Just a thought,
D.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
HawgJaw, you're right on. The environmentalists want to close the hatcheries because they release smolt poop into the rivers.
WOW, close Portland for the mess they are making. Get Vera involved involved in the hatchery issue, she seems to be able to make the Portland sewer problem a non-issue. Maybe she can help with the hatcheries.

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
If you aren't familiar with all that's already been done to address the problem of sewage in the Willamette, why not start by reading this thread from a couple weeks ago where the magnitude of the effort and the cost of the projects was discussed. Swan Island Sewage Spill Thread

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
When was the last time some of you went to a City counsil meeting? If you attend these meeting you will most likely see that someone has tried to combat the problems with City infrastructure, but their efforts get smothered by the publics squaking about "the costs" and how their pension can not cover another increase. There are lots of solutions, and unfortunately solutions come with a cost, so the next time the City tries to get a City tax to cover needed sewer repairs, or suggests an increase in your charge, a new bond or levy, think of what the money goes to.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Sorry but this is a nation wide problem. Not just Portland.

Here are a few more links to provide some reading material in the hope that the information may educate someone. Anyone. If you don’t want to read it, fine. If you don’t want to believe it, fine. I suppose the black helicopters are just outside of your house too.
Just keep whining as it does add so much to a solution. Nothing better than listening to a bunch of armchair environmentalists, engineers, financiers, managers, etc. wondering why it isn’t fixed yet.

Go HERE to educate yourself about Sanitary Sewer Overflow (SSO)

Go HERE to see some case studies.

Go HERE to educate yourself on Combined Sewer Overflows(CSO).

HERE is a map where this is problem.

OR type in the words “Sanitary Sewer Overflow” or “Combined Sewer Overflows” in any search engine and you’ll have enough reading to last a day or two.

Steelie Steve posted a link for what is locally being done above. :smile:

Of course if you think you can do a better job, if you think you can find the money, and if you think you can make the construction go faster, and if you think you can change the last 100 plus years of development over night, then step up to the plate. BES, CWS, and any other major Waste Water Treatment Agency wants YOU! :bowdown:

·
Registered
612 Posts
....was at the flats this morning....think i saw the city council floating by...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Tramp Buddy! Me too! We saw them way downstream by the Lewis! Long way to float on a **** ! It must've been the epidrine syringes and condoms they were holding onto that kept them afloat! They couldn't wave back when we waved at them! You have a nice day!
GotZem

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
Enough of the poo poo talk, gentlemen.

I agree it's a disgusting problem, but I do have one question that bothers me.

What are you doing to help?
(I was asked to edit this out. :depressed: )

Jen

[ 05-16-2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
755 Posts
Help? I moved to a city that don't spill it in the river!

Why would someone ask you to edit this?

Do they need to go out there and see it in person...or do they just want to pretend it ain't happening out there?

:whazzup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts