IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my teenage son out today on the willamette between lake oswego and west linn. He had the day off due to budget cuts, so we made the most of it and went springer fishing. Troll, troll, troll, and all we could manage was one good take. It looked like the fish was just shaking his head, not a solid takedown. Anyway, I swung and missed and all I came up with was two bare Owner hooks and no prawn. Owner hooks are so sharp, I don't know how a fish could take a bait and not be hooked. That was our one chance for the day. I only saw one other fish on while we were out.

[ 04-24-2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: adiboy ]

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Keep at it....they're there. Just make sure you "sharpen" them hooks to be sticky sharp...and wait til the fish takes the rod down to the water before you "swing"!!

It pays to wait. Really.

Mark

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Also try stripping off a pull of line when the fish is biting. Feed them a little. 9 times out of ten when trolling bait, you should not need to set the hook.

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
Yeah, like Tanner said. It's absolutely one of the most thrilling fishing experiences; you feel the bite begin, stand up, strip/feed...strip/feed, then reel down, and strike hard!

The flat diamond files work good for getting the hooks wickedly sharp (FMS sells them in the hunting dept - not fishing)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Last week on the CR, we let the fish bury the rod and then immediately set the hook - 0 for 2.

The next day, bury the hook, slow count to 5, then pick up the rod and start reeling with a fairly casual hook set, 3 for 3.

It seems if the rod is really buckled, you shouldn't need to set it much if your hooks are sharp, and doing it early on only jerks it out of their mouth before you get any extra traction in there. Something to think about if you are using trebles. As they thrash about, they will come into contact with more of your hook points and hook on better. If you go Curt Gowdy on them right away, they may only have one point in them and since trebles by the nature of their design don't bury very deep, you can easily pull the one point out. I have found this to really be the case with the super braids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts