IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out with my dad to try out his new fish finder last night. We got to Meldrum about 5:15pm and were setting to launch. If anyone remembers from the weekend before last there was a boat that went down between the Clackamas and the 205 bridge. Well this boat is now parked about 3/4ths underwater on the right hind side of the launch pretty much making that side of the dock un-usable.

It looked like a great day for springers. In the short time we were out, we saw about 7 or 8 fish landed and even a double off the bank below the Clackamas. Water was still moving pretty fast and a little dirty, but was decent.

One question though... When can we expect the shad to start running in the Willamette this year? Cant wait to take my son out there for some non-stop action.

Thanks
Jesse

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Checkhere
These counts were for Bonneville, but should be similar times for the Willamette.

Scott

·
Registered
275 Posts
There's a few in there now I'm sure but you can actually target and expect to catch them by the end of April if the water's OK.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I caught my first shad last year the second week in april. It took a small rainbow spinner while springer fishing. Give it till mid may though and it should be real good. The willamette usually turns on before the Columbia

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
About the middle of May is right. Nothing better that taking a couple of kids shad fishing on a nice evening. Keep a salmon rod in the water for yourself just in case, and the kids have a blast catching a fish every 10 minutes.
CT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts