IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be headed out there Thursday night to give it a go Friday morning. I haven't heard much about how it went up there this weekend. I hope to get my Dad into a few fish. What are my chances. Any recommendations on bait, depth and location would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FOD

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
It was better the week before last and a lot slower last week but the tides were pretty weak. There are fish in the bay. Try above the bridge or Wheeler early and late and the jaws in the middle of the day. Plug cut herring or spinners drop your weight down until you feel it bounce then reel up a couple cranks and wait :cheers:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Here are your tides for Friday..... High at 3:16am 6.9ft......Low at 10:28am 0.1ft High at 4:17pm 6.6ft and Low at 10:49pm 1.4ft. I'd say there should be some fish coming in with those tides. Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys this is great,
Honestly I am going to be going regardless of how the bite is. I hope to see some of you guys out there. I am open to any and all suggestions on what, how, and where. I haven't ever fished Nehalem, have crabbed it pretty regularly in the past so I am somewhat familiar with the layout. I have been a participant in the Nehalem sandbar boat pull and am going to try and stay away from that in the future.

5-Cents, and rainrshine thanks for the info. I will use it to plan the trip a bit.

Take care and thanks Keep the suggestions coming.

FOD

·
Registered
71 Posts
A friend of mine was out there Saturday with his dad. They stayed at Paradise Cove Resort, just up from Wheeler. They saw one caught. People at the resort said seven were caught in one day earlier in the week near Wheeler.

Directions
Traveling on Hwy 101, Paradise Cove Resort and Marina is one mile south of Wheeler, OR. The resort is located on Nehalem Bay, right on Hwy 101.
32455 Highway 101 North
Rockaway Beach, OR97136
(503) 368-6333
Reservations (rentals)(800) 445 7
Member mail accepted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was there Friday and seen a lot of nets in the water(except for mine) I went back Saturday to try again and only seen four caught.(not me)I tried crabbing and caught a lot of females then went back to Tillamook for Sat. evening. caught some crab and went out in the ocean for the first time. That was cool but it was like glass out there.Now I'm trying to decide where to go next weekend. Back to Nehalem, buoy 10, or the Tillamook.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I was there last Thursday and we got 3. We ran 2 poles with herring and 2 with spinners. All three fish hit the spinners. Fished the flood tide today and it was pretty slow. I saw one caught and heard of one other.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You may not be able to get out on the ocean, but my wife and I fished yesterday off the mouth of Nehalem, and the action for silvers was red hot! We hooked 8 in all in about two hours...two hatchery and 6 nates....we had a blast. We got one other hatchery out at 200' before we came in to fish the mouth at high slack.

The ocean was in great shape, but I know that bar can be very tricky. I tell you this as if the ocean conditions allow you to go out, we were catching them in 85-100' of water just north of the entrance. We were using divers, fish flash and Les Davis 0 dodger with plug cut herring at 10 & 15 pulls...Actually, the one at 10 pulls had the most action. We hit one just as we were stripping line out in about 4 feet of water.

Be careful, good luck and have fun!

[ 08-11-2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: bullhead ]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have trolled plug cut and whole herring before, so I can probably adequately murder that bait setup, but I would like to know if anyone could give me a quick and dirty lesson on how to rig a spinner to troll for salmon. Also which spinners seem to work the best. Sorry to ask all the rookie questions but that is what rookies do.

Thanks,

FOD

[ 08-11-2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: FishOrDie ]

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Fish

I'm no expert but what we use is close to standard. Rainbow spinners, red bead body has worked best for us. I slip a bead on the main line, swivel, bead, tie off to a 4 bead chain swivel, tie on 48" of 40# leader, tied to the spinner. On the swivel above the chain swivel I tie on 18" on lighter weight leader for a dropper and use a cannonball weight. 3 oz generally.
Check your rig regularly for grass and pogeys.
Be on the water no later than 6 AM.
Everything I've learned in the last 1 1/2yr has been on ifish.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
bllelk hit it right. Rig it the same way as you do herring with a dropper weight except you have a spinner tied on the end instead of a plugcut. Spinners can be devistatingly effective around Wheeler and above the bridge!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ditto to the method of bllelk and 5 cents. I use the cone shaped plastic caps that slide onto your line above anything the seaweed could hang up on. They seem to help out. I saw a guy last week who slid the plastic part of a syringe over his bead swivel. It covered the swivel, yet still allowed it to spin while keeping the junk out of it. I'll try it next time out, but it looks like it would work great.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I think it was Pete that suggested the barrel from a ball point pen. I forgot to add that. Now I remember why all those pens are in my tackle box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FishorDie,

I'm doing the same as you. First time fishing Nehalem for chinook. Taking my wife and will try our hand at crabbing whilt fishing.

I'll be in an 18' Green Alumaweld intruder with 115 & 9.9 Mercs. If you troll by, give me a holler!

Good luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey boatfisher,
We will be in a 17' Alumaweld w/ blue graphics older than the intruder but almost exactly the same boat, we have a 115 Jet and an 8 hp kicker There will be 3 of us in the boat, No Ifish sticker though, DOH! Not my boat. Keep an eye out for us.

Good luck,

FOD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts