IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought the NR sled in June I have learned a lot about maintanance from you guys and have one more question. It has been freezing for the last three days. Do I need to do anything special to protect or warm the sportjet engine. Would something like a heat lamp inside the motor cover provide enough heat to keep it from freezing? Is there water in the block that could freeze and split it open? I will put it in anyway as it could not hurt anything.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

With your help,

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Suggest you quickly check your owners manual...

if it's not a closed system (with its own anti-freeze and heat exchanger) it may be too late as it's been below freeezing for several days.

Good luck.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
My dad's block froze and split twice..first time he forgot to do the maintenace..second time the service guys said it was done but was full of just water neglecting to drain and refill with anti-freeze..insurance paid the first time and the service shop paid the last time...hope your okay with yours. :sick:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Water in your heat exchangers will freeze and crack them. You have to drain the water from heat exchangers from the lowest point, usually the pump itself and the drains on the back. Unfortunately, if you haven't done it yet, it is probably too late.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a 2003 custom weld and it my motor automaticly drains itself everytime you shut it off. If yours isn't set up like that and you have never drained it then it may already be too late. If it gets cold enough they will freeze and split. I hope everything is ok

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please tell me it is not to late. I am out the door with two heat lamps for the motor compartment.

thanks for the thoughts. I will pull that manual after I get back in.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you have a sportjet 175 you won't have any problem,as they are self draining.Don't know about the other models.

JB :smile:

·
Registered
194 Posts
The sportjets should be self draining (I own one and read the manual in the fall). I think you should be fine, especially if you have not been the water recently. Good luck

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you. I went out and tried to open the motor cover and it is frozen tothe floor. After a little cleaning and pulling I did get it open. I have installed a good heat lamp and closed the hatch.

DownTime and Fishingfever hit it on the head for me, It's a 175 Merc sportjet. You guys really made me feel better. I am pulling the manual and looking for anything about protection from freezing. I will dig deeper on this cold winter night.

Once again IFish members come through and help when someone ask for it. You guys are what makes this site so great.

I was thinking of going out Saturday for the Gator Catching Extravangaza but if it stays this cold I might stay home.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts