IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Arima needs a new motor. Tonight I looked at a new 75hp Mercury. The 4 stroke is $1,600 more. Any advice here would be great. Yes, money is an issue, and five thousand hurts, but if its worth the extra money I think I could stomach it. Any words of advice? I do want to stick with Merc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is what I am running. 11/2 years old and I love it. Works everytime I turn the key. Also is a nice mate with my 4 stroke kicker.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Love my 4-stroke. No stinking blue smoke and quiet to boot. Remember to turn it off after you drive on the trailer. You won't notice it is running when the truck is on (D"OH!). Fuel burn is minimal. Starts with just a tickle of the starter.

If you don't spend the extra money you will wish you did.

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
I'm not saying don't get the four-stroke. I have the 75hp in two-stroke. 1998, nothing but plugs, never a problem, low fuel consumption. I've been told, but do not know, that the two-stroke has more power. (I know you guys will correct me if I heard wrong). For sure some blue smoke at start in fast-idle. Just one person's experience, with another view. Would I buy a two-stroke, being tight on cash? Probably not...break out the VISA/MC!!! The four's are so smooth & quiet. I heard something about a manufacturer defect with carb seals recently??? on the merc's. DO a search...

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
OK,

basic boat math revisited.

Nothing costs more money. There are just more payments at the same amount.

Anything( and I don't care if it is a plug for the drain) extra is automatically 1000.00 dollars. That way if you get a 1000.00 dollar drain plug, there are no suprises. And if you "Only" spend 850 for a new depthfinder, then it was less than you originally figured it would be.

You NEED every extra that you want. For what they cost, boats should be gold plated and come with the girl from the poster to clean it for you as you fish. Get what you want now, or sit there simmering on it til it needs replacement in 17 years.

Remember, if you hate it it will never break. If you love it, it will cost 1000.00 dollars to fix it.

The difference between a 6 thousand dollar boat and a 36,000 dollar boat is a couple feet and some more payments.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Go the extra and get the 4 stroke. It is so much quieter and fuel efficient. We use less gas in our 40hp Merc than we do with our 25hp 2-stroke Johnson.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
A buddy of mine just ordered a TJ with the off shore bracket. He said the Honda was quite a bit cheaper over the Merc.

[ 09-10-2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
BOAT = Break Out Another Thou$and

Had a 115 stroke EFI Merc on my last boat. If I hadn't gone a different direction I would do the 4 stroke all over again. It's true there is a little less punch out of the hole compared to the two stroke but the quiet and fuel economy more than makes up for it. And at top-end there is virtually no difference. Spend the money, you won't regret it. But,you will if you don't!

SloTroll

·
Registered
908 Posts
Tyee,
Why don't you email me, I may be able to save you some money on your purchase. No I am not a motor salesman just have some connections.

[email protected]

Jim

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I personally prefer two stroke motors. I have had both and seem to have had way less problems with the two strokes. I have only had to do regular tune ups .

John

·
Registered
522 Posts
One other thing to consider is the resale value. If you go for the 4/s, I think you will get your money back doun the line when you go to sell.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Buy a yamaha and you won't regret anything for a long long time.....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Having had both through the years, any time I had a boat that wouldn't care about the difference in weight on the transom, I would go with the four stroke. Arima is wide bottomed for the size and I'm sure will handle the weight with no problems. Four strokes have really raised the comfort level and ease of ownership for outboard powered boats.

treegolfer

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I don't think it's worth the extra money for the four stroke. For the main motor, you won't notice the extra noise, and most motors these days aren't that noisy, anyway. You won't notice the smoke, becuse you're moving fast. The 1600 bucks will buy 800 gallons of fuel, which is close to 200 hours of use of the boat.

Let's say that the four stroke uses half as much gas as the two stroke (which way exaggerates their fuel efficiency advantage over two strokes). If the two stroke uses 4 gals/hour on plane (which is probably a reasonable estimate), then the four stroke would save 2 gals per hour. This means that it would require 400 hours of operation to earn back the extra cost of the motor (2 gals per hour, times $2 per gallon, times 400 hours = $1600).

Now, I don't know how much you fish, but this is about 10 years usage for me. This obviously ignores the cost of oil. But the point is, the fuel efficiency savings is not likely to quickly pay back the cost of the motor.

I think four strokes make a lot of sense for motors that you will use for trolling. I'm not as keen on them for main power. They're heavier, more expensive, and more complicated (more things to break).

You can't make a financial case for purchasing the motor. You have to decide if you want it on features alone.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Tyee-Fisher, I have a 130 Honda on my boat and love it. It doesn't matter much, what brand but with my four stroke I can troll in the ocean all day with no motor loading. Also as most have said it is fuel efficient and quite. Good luck with your decission.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Love my 4's. It's like somebody breaks into my boat at night and tops of my tank without me knowing it. :smile:

Another thing to consider is the onslaught of legislation concerning clean water. It would be a real shame that if your favorite body of water bans 2 strokes in a few years. :depressed:

Joe

[ 09-20-2003, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Birdnest ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts