IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a pain fishing in that area...but if you keep your stuff clean...there are fish to be had . You may wanna scoot a little farther towards the channel...we found it to be a bit better a little deeper as far as the crud coming down was concerned.

Mark

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone can answer the question for sure. :whazzup: I've never landed a fish with weed still on the lure or in it's mouth. But, how would anyone know if there was weed there when the fish grabbed it. I imagine a number of cut plugs are picked up in Tillamook Bay with some weed on them. Personally I clean my gear frequently. Weed definetly won't help, so why not keep things clean.

I think most of the weed you see when you reel in is caught on the line but not necessarily wrapped on the bait, plug, or wobbler until you reel in. I think alot of it slides down the line giving the impression your gear has been fouled the whole time. Most of the time I doubt that's true. :smile:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I HAVE LANDED FISH IN TILLAMOOK WITH A FOOT OF WEEDS DOWN IS MOUTH AND STILL TANGELED AROUND THE HOOK :cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yesterday I was fishing the oregon side upriver of the sandy. lots of weeds, I was cleaning my gear about ever 20min. Somtimes there was a huge glob of weeds and somtimes none or just a little.
Well heres the funny part, my pole was in the holder and all the sudden my pole bends over and the "fish on" holder go's over flat also. I pick up my pole as line is going out fast. I pull back but not real hard like setting the hook. I can feel somthing taking line, but then its off. As I reel in I see the my lure has lots of weeds but the blade still flashs!
Will fish take a lure with weeds on it?

·
Registered
740 Posts
For some reason I have never hooked into a salmon or steelhead with weeds on mu bait/lure. I would make it a point to keep checking your gear.

·
Registered
491 Posts
fish really won't go for salad.i can tell when my pole gets a really good clump of grass on it as the rod will gradually go down.no doubt when a fish nails the rod. :rolleyes: NS

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
FishinMission,

I was fishing in that area yesterday also (a mile or so upstream from the Camas Marina. First time salmon fishing, but beginners luck wasn't with me. I was armed with some of Get Bent's spinners and tips from Get Bent and ******; one of the main tips they gave me was to fish in water 10-15' deep. I noticed some hog lines in the channel in water averaging 34'deep. So were they fishing with Alvins (haven't tried those yet)? I've heard Alvins are for deep water, so I assume those guys weren't spinner fishing. My understanding is that 34' is too deep for spinners. So I found some 15' water closer to the Oregon side where a few other boats were fishing. You couldn't leave your spinner in the water for five minutes before it was fouled by weeds. Any advice?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Originally posted by Get Bent Tackle:
I HAVE LANDED FISH IN TILLAMOOK WITH A FOOT OF WEEDS DOWN IS MOUTH AND STILL TANGELED AROUND THE HOOK :cool:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Me too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts