IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 25hp on 15\' Smkrcrft troll slow enough?

Looking at a good ol', very common, 15 ft Smokercraft aluminum v-hull boat with a 25 hp Johnson outboard with a 3 blade prop. Both are 1993.

Question for the "ifish" community: I like to troll slow, 1-2 mph. Will this set-up do it or will it still be too fast?

Thanks,
x

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: Will 25hp on 15\' Smkrcrft troll slow enough?

I troll with 4stroke 70hp and it works just fine. If the 25 is to fast throw 1 or 2 sea anchors out. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

I had a 25 Johnson and I thought it trollled too fast. The sea anchors may work to slow you down enough. If they don't you can always add a flip down trolling plate. That stops enough water from the prop to really slow you down.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

I have a 15' smokercraft with a 25 yamaha and it will troll down very slow. I even took off the troll plate I had on because I did not need it.

·
Registered
908 Posts

Nothing works better than changing speeds anyway. Just take it in and out of gear and whatever you do don't worry about your rod as the boat slows down... :wink:

Jim

·
Registered
286 Posts

You guys just answered my question also, thanks, I have a 15ft Smoker with 15hp and have been thinking about going to a 25hp. I just made up my mind. :cheers: jr

·
Registered
177 Posts

I have a 15.5' Smokercraft. It has a 50hp on it.
I put a Happy Troller on it and it will creep.
Before the plate I had to use 2 buckets to slow myself down.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

You can put it in reverse and back-troll. It's the perferred method with walleye anglers.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I've been using a Merc 25 four stroke on a 16ft Smoker. With zero current it trolls down to the 1 to 2 mph based on a gps reading. It's slow enough for Kokanee fishing and runs at about 25mph on a plane. I'll use a sock off the bow if its windy to hold straight easier. I have never even considered a trolling plate because it's not needed for mine. I will use an electric to get down below 1mph for little flatfish to be most deadly.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts

I have a 15' Smoker Craft with a 25 HP Yamaha and it trolls down great. I catch quite a few salmon, steelhead, and kokanee trolling. If you have a choice get the Yamaha 4 stroke. Mine is a '92 two stroke and it starts on the first pull. Wish I could afford to go the 4 stroke though. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts

Don't buy a boat without a test-drive!

Minn-Kotas are pretty cheap, for when you want to creep in silence (in calm water)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

No problem. If you do find it is a little fast, just buy a different prop with a different pitch. This is cheaper and easier than a trolling plate, plus you don't have to drill any holes. You may give up a little speed, but you can always put the original back on as needed. I think Cabela's has composite props for around $60. LOL

Green Machine

·
Registered
7,043 Posts

I have a 25hp Merc on my 15' Klamath with the standard 13" pitch prop. I have a trolling plate, but I only use it on lakes. Never need it when there's a current. Trolls just fine.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Extreme, I had the very same question before I bought my 15' Smokercraft Lodge SS. I have a 25hp four stroke Yamaha. I can run with three people(two adults one eleven year old) at a top speed of 26 mph. I can also troll at .8 to 2 mph depending on the tide/current. If the tide/current is pushing me to fast one or two small trolling socks will do the trick. The 15' lodge ss series weighs more then the Alaskan ss so I suppose that may make a slight difference.

[ 04-14-2003, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Cast Away ]

·
Registered
909 Posts

I have a 25hp yamaha 2 stroke on a 12 foot zodiac. Big horsepower to weight ratio. I added a trolling plate and I can troll at a snails pace. They dont run to much money and you will be glad when you install one when you can run to your holes faster with a bit bigger motor. I run about 35mph fast enough to scare you in a 12 footer. Of course the kill strap is attached and the life jackets are on.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

You're describing my first boat except it was a '91 with a yami. I liked the yami so well, I sold the boat and trailer and I STILL use the 25hp yami as my kicker on my 18' Fishrite sled. It trolls excellent, plus it really scoots if you need to!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts