IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiggle Warts - Hook Swappin\'

I browsed the archives(this thread had a lot of info) regarding the changing of the Brad's Wiggler hook setup and have a few questions - does the following look right?

This is a standard sized wiggler with a 2/0 owner ssw(similar to gammi octopus) and a bead chain. Should I have a smaller sized bead chain? Does the octopus style hook work better/worse than the regular siwash? From what I've read - the octopus hooks are more prone to slide to the front of the fish's jaw and hook up there vs down their throat.

Still a green horn - any input appreciated. :smile:

StinkyH

[ 10-14-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Re: Wiggle Warts - Hook Swappin\'

Looks right to me :wink:

I personally like the octopus style hook better...

[ 10-13-2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Registered
740 Posts

Here is how I change the hook setup on the standard Wart:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

Just "say no" to bead chain :rolleyes: remove belly hook...add larger to rear.

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
740 Posts

Here is how I change the hook setup on the standard Wart:

On each eye screw I include a split ring, a #7 barrel swivel, another split ring, and a siwash hook. This method moves the hook back a little to improve hookups, yet I can still use two hooks without messing up the plug action. This was shown to me by a friend of mine who is a guide. With this set-up, I really don't loose many fish.

When I change the set-up on a Mag Wart, I always use the chain swivel just like your photo StinkyH.

Here is a tip for using siwash.....bend the shanks of the hook slightly to resemble a octopus hook. You'll notice a big difference in your hookup/catch ratio.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Originally posted by Mrdorkfish:
Just "say no" to bead chain :rolleyes: remove belly hook...add larger to rear.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What size treble would you suggest I run?

StinkyH

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Originally posted by Hooker:
On each eye screw I include a split ring, a #7 barrel swivel, another split ring, and a siwash hook. This method moves the hook back a little to improve hookups, yet I can still use two hooks without messing up the plug action. This was shown to me by a friend of mine who is a guide. With this set-up, I really don't loose many fish.

When I change the set-up on a Mag Wart, I always use the chain swivel just like your photo StinkyH.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That seemed to be the consensus on most of the past threads I read on this board.

Originally posted by Hooker:

Here is a tip for using siwash.....bend the shanks of the hook slightly to resemble a octopus hook. You'll notice a big difference in your hookup/catch ratio.

Good luck.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Thanks for the tip. :smile:

StinkyH

[ 10-14-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Per MrDorkFish's suggestion - I picked up some #2 Owner Stinger Treble cutting points today from GI Joe's. Woulda gone to Fisherman's to give them my business but it's 20 minutes further away.

Swapped out the tail hook a few of my Brad's Wigglers and removed the front hooks along with the split ring.

Here's the standard setup(BW29) and the modified setup(BW05):

You can see a bit of difference in the trebles that come on the wiggler and that that replaced the tail hook:

I did notice that one of the Brad's Wigglers had lighter weight split rings on it - I swapped out the tail ring with a heavier one I removed from the belly of another. Also figured out that a pair of needle nose pliers go a long way to help handle the heavier split rings with regard to installation/removal on the plug as well as the hook.

Can't wait to get these in the water!

StinkyH

P.S. - the images are a bit dark because I didn't want to use a flash due to glare and I didn't feel like breaking out the tripod for a longer exposure. :tongue: Yeah - I'm bored.

[ 10-14-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts

Wow nice job on the pictures... this looks like a friggen text book guys

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Originally posted by 5-Cents:
Wow nice job on the pictures... this looks like a friggen text book guys
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hopefully soon I'll be posting images of fish! :smile:

StinkyH

[ 10-14-2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

StinkyH,
Beautiful job :grin:
:dance:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
13,993 Posts

The single hook off the tail may hold fish well. But I promose the plug will not dive as deep an a stock Wart/Brads. The belly hook puts weight in the middle of the plug. Helping to balance the plug( as it was designed by the factory). Witout the belly hook, the lip of the plug raises, causing the plug to run at a shallower angle. AThis in turn creates less water pressure in the bill of the plug. Therefore it dives shallower without the belly hook.

Shallow is not better or worse across the board. It is just shallower.

But if you are fishing in a 16' deep hole and the fish are hugging the bottom, your modified plug is not gonna make it into the zone.

But in shallower water, it will not dig into the bottom nearly as much.

Something to think about the next time you change fishing locations.

Mark and the deep dog.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

I agree with flatfish, changing to a heavy hook on the rear will throw off the balance and change the way the plug dives.MM

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Originally posted by Flatfish:
The single hook off the tail may hold fish well. But I promose the plug will not dive as deep an a stock Wart/Brads. The belly hook puts weight in the middle of the plug. Helping to balance the plug( as it was designed by the factory). Witout the belly hook, the lip of the plug raises, causing the plug to run at a shallower angle. AThis in turn creates less water pressure in the bill of the plug. Therefore it dives shallower without the belly hook.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That makes sense. One can tune the dive with hook placement based on where they'll be fishing. Thanks for the info.

StinkyH

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

Yeah StinkyH..Listen to those guys...you'll screw up the balance.... won't dive in the "zone"

Who wants those shiny silvers anyway :shrug:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

DOH! Can't argue with those pics.
That's some serious chrome.

Hans.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

Having been a plug fisherman for many years due to taking so many people that don't fish in my DB that can't drift fish I've spent alot of time fine tuning plugs. Here is what works for me.

I prefer wiggle warts over hot shots, their size is more noticeable and I believe the fish see these plugs much easier. I take off the butt hook and add one split ring to extend the hook further back. I then take the belly hook and add two split rings to extend the hook back. If you put a stock plug in the water next to your boat you will notice the angle it runs, the nose is buried and it dives. The top hook floats slightly above the body and the belly hook runs really close to the belly of the plug. Now imagine a fish with it's mouth open coming to devour the plug. Once the fish realizes it's plastic it backs off and closes it's mouth. With hooks closer to the body of the plug the fish is more likely to close it's mouth after it has realized something is wrong and getting past the hooks. By extending the hooks this extends the area the hooks are in the "zone" before the fish closes it's mouth thus there is a better chance of hooking the fish. I have found running a treble on the butt end and a siwash on the belly has provided more hookups over the years versus the standard hook setup.

My $.02

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

Uh...i'm going to bed....Hopefully i won't get two chinook while anchor fishing and i'll be able to troll for Coho :tongue: tomorrow, All i know is when that fish decided to strike my lure it's already too late to back off :shrug: Get in my belly :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 10-14-2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

ifish ROCKS! thanks for the info guys....will try this myself. :cheers:

[ 10-14-2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts