IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a great trip. The Kokanee must have been on steroids over the winter. They average 17" to 18" and 1lb to 2.5lbs each. It was a little slower than I like, but still put 15 to the boat on Saturday and Sunday we caught a few, but didn’t fish much that day. Lost many since their soft mouths were not designed for the weight and size that they have grown to. Jigged with buzz bombs when we found schools, but mostly trolled between 10ft and 20ft depending on the depth.

It was a little windy and snowed at times. I guess it was rough enough near the dam that two boats capsized and one person lost his/her life.

Anyone else do very well? How was Odell fishing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where was everbody? Empty lake. Fished noon yesterdaywith two friends till noon today. landed 8 browns/1 rainbow between 18 and 28inches. yes, we catch and release. :smile: t-n-t wish i would have teemed up with you to kok fish,too.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Fishing at Odell sucked this weekend.

Snowed like crazy Saturday and was almost too windy to fish.

I did here of one guy that caught 40 kokes jigging by Princess Creek.

The Kokanee Lodge at Shelter Cove is very nice.

Tag

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
James,

Thanks for the report. I posted earlier and not very many responses, sounds like some others did okay also.
Didn't fish Saturday.
Tagster, I called up to the lodge about noon and the lady said "it's cold, but not much wind", fishing was slow also. With that report, I was disappointed and determined to fish Sunday.
Glad I waited, the bite Sunday didn't start for us until after 9 and we finished our limits (75) by 2. Nice, fat fish none smaller than 11" with the largest going 13.5".
Might start at Wickiup this weekend and finish at Odell if its slow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mirage....I noticed by Sunday that not many were fishing. Most left early. You did real well on the browns! I knew of a few guys fly fishing and only caught one brown on Sunday. They were dissapointed. I didn't try for browns.

The lake was full. I hear 98%, but it looked full.

Kurt,

Sounds like you did well at Odell for one day and fishing until 2! Were you trolling or jigging? The kokanee are unbelievabley large this year at Wickiup. I've never caught such large kokanee. It's worth the trip even if you only catch 15 or so. I think I'll be headed back weekend after next or may even try Odell. I might try the Umpqua for sturgeon and possibly springers this weekend.

We talked to the people at Crane Prarie Resort and they said it was slow. A few people catching trout, but didn't seem like many people were there fishing. She said it ws still pretty slow fishing.

[ 04-28-2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Thick-N-Thin ]

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
James,

We were jigging, orange or pink/white Nordics on the bottom, no corn. The schools seemed to be on the bottom and up 15', some would come through and fill the sceen!! The schools didn't seem to be as dense, more scattered. The waves of fish would stick around long enough to pick up six or so. We moved three times once we started catching.
Good luck this weekend, we'll talk to ya later.

Kurt

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
verrrrrry interesting
:cool:

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
TNT,

Thanks for the kokanee report! After the small fish of three years ago, it seems the fish have increased in size each year. I had high hopes the fish would be large this year. But 17 to 18" is more than I could have hoped for. I think I feel a sore throat coming on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts