IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if their is any problems with snow in the camps? I went to the mountains Saturday and ran into snow covering the road at about 5000ft. Isn't Wickiup about 4400ft?

Thanks

James

·
Registered
228 Posts
TnT

Your right on with the elevation 4338 according to my Topo software.

I read a week or so ago that the camps were clear, but that was a week or so ago. Who knows by now, I have been going there in August and there was a fresh 2" of snow on the road.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Go anyways!!! The fishing can be incredible during the first days of ice out. Dress warm and catch fish!!

MH

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of the girls I work with said that she caught for Browns and 4 Kokies this weekend, sounds like all 60 people she was with had a great weekend up there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Chrome_Miner

Wickiup opens next weekend the 26th. If she was really there probably did bang them up and had the whole lake to themselfs.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Don't forget that Wickiup has been drawn down to work on the dam. Might be stump city. You might want to call before you go

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
No ice-out this year at Wickiup; there never was any to begin with. Even Paulina at 6300 feet was clear the end of Janurary. Can you say, "mild winter"?
According to USBR Hydromet, Wickiup's 94% full.

[ 04-21-2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: BuKuBass ]

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it should be ok. So the lake is low right now? It was pretty low last year. I didn't know about them lowering the level to work on the dam. Hopefully I can put in at the SW lake side where it is not so improved.

[ 04-21-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Thick-N-Thin ]

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
TNT,

I would be very interested in an update on the water and fishing conditions when you get back. I am headed to Odell in the first part of May for our annual "Boys Only" trip and we always make day trips to Wickiup.

Thanks! SD

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes they did draw the water down to work on the dam, they did this last year also. The water level should be near full for next weekend. No snow at this time, high 60s last weekend, rain Mon. broken clouds today. Have fun if you go and be safe. S.D. I was thinking about heading up to Odell on Sat. I will post results if I go. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
James,

Going to play in the cloudy, rainy, sunny, snowy with some wind cascades too :grin: Let us know how you do, haven't been there for a few years, need to go back. :shrug:
We will be at Odell for the opener.
Sounds like the chinooks should be at Winchester Bay by Memorial weekend, you planning on being there??

Kurt

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

SD I'll let you know how it went.

Kurt,

Good luck this weekend. If the Chinook will be @ Winchester Bay by Memorial weekned, I'll be there. We need to meet up one of these days!

Have fun this weekend, Hey I'm leaving Thursday night for up there, maybe I'll be passing you! :grin:

James

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I hear alot here of hitting Odell. I've never gone there this early, have fished it alot, but usually in the summer. Did go last year in May and fished buzz bombs and it was crazy good! aynybody get into some macks early in the year. I'd like to target some this season.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
She if full pool. I drove by there two weeks ago and water every where. The big D is not even running at bank full yet. There has been no snow on the ground up there for many many weeks.

Has anyone been by Odell to see if the boat ramps are accessable?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I talked to Shelter Cove last night and told them I needed moorage for my 19' boat...she didn't say anything at all about there being a launching problem.

I haven't been there in a few years, do they still have the big firepit in front of the store at Shelter Cove?

Tag

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great, so we have plenty of water and no snow on the ground. Now we just need to catch some fish!

Last fall I was at Odell and Shelter Cove still had the fire pit! That's a nice place. The owner of Shelter Cove sure had a nice 70's 4x4 chevy pick-up all restored too!

Thanks for the reports!

·
Registered
327 Posts
FRG,
Drove by Odell 2 weeks ago and everything looked clear then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My mistake they were at O'dell, I thought they said Wickiup but thats where they are headed for the opener, with 60 of there best friends. My previous post suggested they had caught fish last weekend at Wickiup. Sorry for the confusion.

Chrome_Miner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts