IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Fished Wickiup Saturday evening from 5 until 8 with two neighborhood boys. It was very windy and that made fishing difficult. I was surprised by the lack of fish we were marking. After getting beat up for over 2 hours we headed up in the Deschutes arm to escape the wind. We made three wind drifts in front of Gull point and landed two Kokanee. Both were caught with a pink hoochie. The fish were between 14 and 16 inches, which is small for Wickiup this year. Once the sun left the water I started marking fish that were not there 15 minutes earlier. May be they were glued to the bottom? The bigger of the two fish already had very developed milt sacs while the other had no discernable milt or egg sacs.

Sunday afternoon my daughter and I headed up to Paulina. Fishing started off slow. Around 5 a few fish started to bite. We caught three out in the middle of the lake on either a pink hoochie or pink Kote-a-nut. We were fishing between 35 and 40 feet down. I tried many different lures and just corn, but the fish were not responding. My girl was ready to leave about 7:30 so we trolled in and picked up two more on an orange Apex. We caught the last one just before the dock as we passed through a nice school of fish. I figure we could have gotten several more if we would have stayed to work that area. Two of the biggest fish were odd. The biggest was 17.5 inches and skinny. It looked like a run back steelhead. The scales on this fish were starting to stick and its nose was extending, typical of a fish starting its metamorphosis into spawning condition. This fish had no milt sacs, very little fat, but beautiful red meat. Another fish looked just like this one. The other three were shorter but fat and more typical looking. A beautiful evening on the lake with my daughter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by FallRiverGuy:
I Fished Wickiup Saturday evening from 5 until 8 with two neighborhood boys. It was very windy and that made fishing difficult. I was surprised by the lack of fish we were marking. After getting beat up for over 2 hours we headed up in the Deschutes arm to escape the wind. We made three wind drifts in front of Gull point and landed two Kokanee. Both were caught with a pink hoochie. The fish were between 14 and 16 inches, which is small for Wickiup this year. Once the sun left the water I started marking fish that were not there 15 minutes earlier. May be they were glued to the bottom? The bigger of the two fish already had very developed milt sacs while the other had no discernable milt or egg sacs.

Sunday afternoon my daughter and I headed up to Paulina. Fishing started off slow. Around 5 a few fish started to bite. We caught three out in the middle of the lake on either a pink hoochie or pink Kote-a-nut. We were fishing between 35 and 40 feet down. I tried many different lures and just corn, but the fish were not responding. My girl was ready to leave about 7:30 so we trolled in and picked up two more on an orange Apex. We caught the last one just before the dock as we passed through a nice school of fish. I figure we could have gotten several more if we would have stayed to work that area. Two of the biggest fish were odd. The biggest was 17.5 inches and skinny. It looked like a run back steelhead. The scales on this fish were starting to stick and its nose was extending, typical of a fish starting its metamorphosis into spawning condition. This fish had no milt sacs, very little fat, but beautiful red meat. Another fish looked just like this one. The other three were shorter but fat and more typical looking. A beautiful evening on the lake with my daughter.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

1 - 2 of 2 Posts