IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened to a guy I work with. :depressed: He hit the back of a tractor-trailer rig. He doesn’t have a safety chain on the trailer to the boat.
I encouraged him to get one, what do you think? :shrug:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In true form he did not have the stern straps attached… Didn’t think he needed them.

·
Registered
22,377 Posts
RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!!
:shrug: All kidding aside sorry to hear about this. The front is bad enough but a boat in the rear just adds a little more sting to it. :hoboy: Here is a good lesson to all I-fishers. Safety, safety, safety says Gomer Pyle. Or was that shame, shame shame... :wink:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank God no one was hurt!!!!
He had two kids in the truck at the time.

Unfortunately I am sure he has not learned anything from this. Some people just don't get it. I used to try to talk to him about boating but quickly realized he was one of those that know it all.
The faster is better. "Safety Smafety" is the phrase that comes to mind :hoboy:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Bernie, we all know you are salivating at those pics. Did you get the repair job? :grin: :grin: :grin:

I have always thought those straps and chains were for losing the boat behind you. Good lesson that the shape of a boat can make it a potentially leathal missle in this situation.

You really think he didn't learn from this? Wow! :shrug:

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
That looks like something that might happen to me :wink:

Note to Firedog - thought I might have to call you and the boys a couple times this weekend at the 3 digit speed dial number this weekend. :blush: I took care of the situation myself. :grin: Note to self - keep the flamables away from the welder,
also read the instructions on the new gas stove before you light it
(that second one was a close call
) :wink:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
A guy I work with had this happen with his runabout and minivan. Went clean through the back door, the back seat finally stopped it. Just behind the front seats. I didn't think to ask him if he had tie downs and a safety chain. I thought that was always a given!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Every now and then I see a reminder why saftey chains are needed, this is one of them but usually it's the guy who unlatched his boat at the top of the ramp and left his winch on freespool accidentally. I've witnessed that one a couple of times. Amazing what concrete can do to a boat.

tc

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
stryker, ask him if the eye of the boat was above or below the front rest on the trailer after he winched it on, if it was ontop :rolleyes:

[ 06-23-2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: boater ]

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Tailchaser, were you the one that helped me put the boat back on the trailer at the upper Lewis river ramp. I had taken the back straps off the transom and was backing down, stopped to adjust the direction once I could actually see the ramp and water and the buddy with me unhooked both the saftety chain and winch strap. Considering the boat was on rollers, it launched itself once I move. Thanks to whom ever those two guys were, they helped reload once they stopped laughing.

I have a great picture of a truck and boat accident but do not know how to attach it. Maybe I can email it to someone and they can post it.
The boat is on the highway and the pu is over a cliff hanging on by the safety chain and ball.
The driver is still in the pu.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I went to launch Sat AM and found my straps not on the trailer. I forgot to put them on after fishing last time ( I was so happy about my successful day). I always wondered just how important they could be, the boat isn't going anywhere................'ceptin maybe forward!

[ 06-23-2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Tilla ]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have posted this one before but it is a classic. :wink:
Port of Newport boat ramp at South Beach.

[ 06-24-2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Stryker ]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was talking to another person that does work for me and he said he actually BROKE his safety chain backing down a ramp and hitting the brakes as some kid walked behind his boat. :shocked: The boat shot off the trailer and the chain just snapped. Nothing he could do, from then on he leaves the winch strap attached.

Oh ya one question I had for the guy in the first photo was why didn’t the winch stop the boat from launching he said the little lever you flip to either lit the strap out or winch it in snapped. With no safety chain or stern straps…. Well you can see the rest!
:hoboy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.