IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Old fishing superstition that is not reality based...however, I don't allow them on my boats either! lol
Remember that women were suppose to bring bad luck too...the only time that has been true for me is when fishing with my wife. She always catches more and bigger :( I always loose!)
Dave

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Superstition at sea is a powerful thing.

The banana legend is long-lived, and many of us take it as seriously as tides and temperature breaks. I've heard all kinds of stories about where it originated, but the few times a banana has been brought on my boat the perpetrator has gone home fishless.

Ask my friends - the Legend Lives!

Skein

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Went out a few weeks back for Tuna...Tunagin # 2 on the boat brought 2 bananas....he spent the entire 9hrs talking to Ralph, turned more shades of green than any sevenstrand or zuker ever made...and was fortunate enough to land 1 fish out of 31.

The Power of the Banana is strong!!!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
hmmm, how do bananas get to America, all by air??

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Silly Superstition, I personally think Superstitions only effect those that believe it will. I have caught plenty of fish while eating a Banana.

·
Premium Member
16,600 Posts
I imagine the female on board superstition comes from the "old days" when a crew at sea would get mighty restless if someone brought a wife/daughter on for the trip. A fighting crew would not be very useful for fishing, or much else.

And for the bananas, here is one more explanation, also from the "old days." I also read that the tramp steams that transport bananas were the worst in the fleet, so most likely to sink and leave a chum line of banana boxes.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
While in Hawaii, I was thumbing through a paperback about ancient hawaiian myths and there listed were about 10 superstitions concerning fishing, including No Bananas on the boat, another one was not talking about someone while they were out fishing as the fish could hear and would then know not to be caught.:yay:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's tough to know for sure, but there are two explanations I like and that make sense.

The first is that falling down on a boat is bad. Generally speaking there are lots of ways falling can hurt you including going overboard and drowning. So a stray peel on the deck is a bad thing.

The second plausible explanation I have heard is that bananas don't last long and are frequently infested with fruit flys which would damage the rest of the supplies on board. So while they were great for eating when you visited a tropical island as part of a long voyage, you couldn't bring them with you, or you risked your entire food supply.

I don't thumb my nose at luck wrt fishing or hunting. There is too much of it involved. So no thanks on the bananas for me. I hate eating em any way.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
It's tough to know for sure, but there are two explanations I like and that make sense.

The first is that falling down on a boat is bad. Generally speaking there are lots of ways falling can hurt you including going overboard and drowning. So a stray peel on the deck is a bad thing.

The second plausible explanation I have heard is that bananas don't last long and are frequently infested with fruit flys which would damage the rest of the supplies on board. So while they were great for eating when you visited a tropical island as part of a long voyage, you couldn't bring them with you, or you risked your entire food supply.

I don't thumb my nose at luck wrt fishing or hunting. There is too much of it involved. So no thanks on the bananas for me. I hate eating em any way.
Correct Kurt as you loaded your raft to float to the next isle you avoided bananas because they are the first thing to spoil. No food no sailor.

·
Banned
989 Posts
Here is what I was actually told about bananas and boats and why they are bad luck....

Back in the "old days" They shipped green bananas on the boats, to get them to main lands..... The bananas would ripen as they ship sailed..... The only poisoness tarantula spider is a "Banana Tarantula" and the spider eggs would hatch while at sea, and crew would get bit and die...... Bad luck eh?

Might jsut be another lie passed around, but that is what I was told it came from. Good story if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Back in the "old days" They shipped green bananas on the boats, to get them to main lands..... The bananas would ripen as they ship sailed..... The only poisoness tarantula spider is a "Banana Tarantula" and the spider eggs would hatch while at sea, and crew would get bit and die...... Bad luck eh?
Might jsut be another lie passed around, but that is what I was told it came from. Good story if nothing else.
My mother was a passenger on a freighter in 1929 that had a huge load of bananas on the back deck. She and her brother played hide and seek amongst the bananas and lo and behold there was a big, ugly tarantula that scared the [email protected] out of them. At the time, the ship's engineer had just come down with appendicitis and my grandfather (a doc) had to operate on him with makeshift tools and ether for anaesthesia (my grandmother was the "anaesthesiologist"). He pulled through the operation but my mother never liked bananas or tarantulas after that trip!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I always take Bananas and have no trouble catching fish. I've heard the same story about the deadly spiders.

Bananas always allowed on my boat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see no bananas on the boat as old myth and hog wash. I have snuck them on the boat many times. Still caught fish. :bigshock::yay:

Now I am busted and I bet my back pack gets checked. LOL

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Classic day with banna's on the boat.

Took my daughter halibut fishing last year, Everyone catching halibut, but not us, (17) 32oz and 48 oz lead balls lost, four halibut rigs lost, two line break offs and this was by 9am. I have never had this kind of luck, daughter went and brought out our lunch bag, we wanted something to snack on, Lord behold a half dozen banana's in the bag. The wife packed our snacks and lunch for us.:passout:

Now here's the clincher, I threw em over board and begged King Neptune for forgiveness. We ate our sandwiches and put on the last two lead weights and last 2 halibut rigs and and proceeded to loose them.

First time I have been skunked and lost all of the gear.

Next moring, we went to the same area fully loaded with gear, Did not loose one ball and caught two 65 lb halibut before 7am.

Bring a banana on my boat, be prepared to got for a swim.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I thought it was because fish hate potassium. I put a drop of it in my fish tank and they all swam away from it. No bananas for me. I also heard if you have change in your back pocket you need to throw it over board. One last thing. one time I was taking a leak off my bow and my buddy took the motor over, the wind gusted and blew my urine into his face. At that very second he hooked his first salmon. 36#. So we always joke about that being good luck:yay:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts