IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never fished for summer chinook but keep reading that everyone fishes above, below, near Gov't. Is. Is the season open near St. Helens? That's closer for me. Are there any fish being caught there or is it that Gov't Isl is better fishing. I know everyone has their favorite holes, I'm not asking where they are, just if I can fish anywhere on the Columbia. I looked at the ODFW news and they mention "a line" near Astoria and up to Pasco, but I thought I hear someone mention I-5 once. Maybe just confused. Help me if you can. Thanks ahead of time. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
All of those fish have to pass St. Helens to get up to Gov't Island. I'm by no means an expert, but find a spot with good flow, depth somewhere from 15' to 30'(give or take :shrug: ) and toss one of those spinners out there that have been discussed in detail lately.

You should also do a quick search through last years archives for tips. Lots of fish caught last year also.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
noclass,

I think what makes the upriver tip of Gov't Island good is that it's the narrowest spot around and probably tends to concentrate the fish to some degree.

There should be similar spots in the St. Helens area.

Brion

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
St. Helens is a good area also. Launch at Scapoose bay and head South out to the Columbia. Anchor across from sand island in about 20-25 feet of water, this would be near the picket fence. You should see several boats out there. Try alvins and spinners. Take a boat ride out there on a weekend and you will see several boats anchored. They are chinook fishing. Good luck,

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts