IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing the other day on the coastal rivers and didn't catch anything but saw a couple steelhead from time to time jump up all the way out of the water. Why do they do this? It didn't appear to be to take flies because I saw them do that a couple times, sipping the flies under from the top of the water. Any guesses? It sure is fun to watch and if only my camera was a little faster, it would make an awesome picture.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My fiancee would say "Because they are mocking you, maybe you should shower to take the skunk off"....Sometimes I really wonder why I love her?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was fishing Three Rivers once and a Steelie about 8 foot out, would just porpoise every now and then. I really got the feeling he was just seeing what we were up to.

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
On the John Day, when we saw fish roll, we caught better than half of them. I have read that east side summer streams have this in common.

On the west side. Well.... Straydog may be on to something.

Mark and the dog.

[ 06-20-2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
352 Posts
on the coast I think it is to remove the sea lice and what straydog said. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Go stray dog!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
A little earlier in the season, and maybe now, a lot (not all) of the jumpers you see are spawners heading down river, as to why :shrug:

Straydog's theory works for me.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I'm with Gun rod bow on this one. For the most part those fish that are jumping around violently are spawned out bucks that are trying to rid themselves of parasites and/or fungus.
If it is a chrome fish it could be jumping for joy but more often than not it may have a hook stuck in it's back. At some areas like pools below dams and hatchery intakes I see nice chrome fish cavorting about and I think it is just a nervous response due to overcrowding in the hole. If there are chinook present in the same pool they will keep the steelhead sulking near the tailout. Case in point, Rivermill Dam.
On the Deschutes while us FF'ers are waiting for the light to leave the water we will see steelhead porpoising and breeching in the soft water, gradually moving up to the top of the run.
I've tried to fish over them when they are doing this to no avail, gotta wait until they hit the moving water and feel aggressive again.
Just my observations........

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Thank you for answers that could be factual. I wonder about salmon/steelhead rolling and jumping too. We all have. But what gets me is some-know-it-all who tells you he knows why--- and then tells you they are shaking the eggs loose from the egg sacs. I guess it could be true, but only for the females!
I don't know if we will ever know. I just smile and refer to them as "fish laughs".

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
It's definately the California "Howdy"! Or shall you say, the "Steelhead Howdy"!

:wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts