IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish many of the local coastal rivers and always notice the salmon rolling and moving right at dusk. Why is that? Usually they don't move from the hole their in, just AROUND in the hole. They tend to break the surface of the water more often than during the day, and they breach like dolphins aggressively. I'm just curious what makes them do this during that last hour before it gets dark? :whazzup:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
This is easy, there's no doubt about it. They are making fun of you for standing on the bank all day throwing everything in the book at the water and not catching anything. They just want to let you know that yes... they were (and still are) there :grin: and yes... they got away :grin: .. and no they still ain't bitin'..

:laugh:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
They have no middle finger and can't go :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: !!

[ 10-28-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
168 Posts
My young son once asked the same question and my Wife absently replied that we were being flipped off. oops :blush:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Fish tend to stay in deeper holes during the day, and nose up into faster water at night.

I think they move more at night. They are getting ready to try and make it up further? I dunno.

J

·
Registered
921 Posts
They are just checking each other out. You know how water distorts things so they want to get a closer look at each other. After all they only get to do this spawning thing one time. You know what they say life is too short to be with an ugly fish.
:laugh: :laugh: :shrug:

[ 10-28-2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: First Light Bite ]

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I think they are doing an air bladder adjustment...getting ready to move through the shallows...makes them lighter on their fins. :grin:

:wink:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, so its allll just SPITE that they are showing towards us! :grin:

Any other , um.... non serious reponse? :tongue:

either way, i feel the same way, they're just laughin at us!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Sublime, After a very long day on the wilson.. one of those days where you keep looking up that long steep bank trying to remember where you came down... :grin: :laugh: I'm really laughing cuz i used to be so SO hooked on that upper stretch of the Wilson i would keep saying "one more cast" Anyway...i was at this one hole where a very nice steely came out of the water around dusk so i stayed till i could see no more...When i got home i asked my dad why fish did that...he said " that means they are getting ready to move up" Hey..sounds good to me...So i'm not mocking you ...i actually believe it.
cuz dad said so.

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Old man river told me the answer to this question. He said that when the fish are in the ocean its very wide open with no banks to deal with, but when they start running up river they freak out when they see the bank and jump! ahhh!!!

-blake

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
They are rolling in their sleep.
DAB

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those are fresh fish on the move and usually if they start to roll all of the sudden, its all new fish moving through the hole.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts