Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I shop at G.I JOE\'S???

Knowing Fishermans was closed I decided to try once again to run to Joe's, and try to find a few things I needed. Once again I was met with an aray of empty pegs on all staple items. Clancys, Alvins, Brads wobblers, and wiggle warts ect...

This happens to me ALL the time!!!! I know I have the right not to shop there, but it is unreal how this company does business. I work in the retail sector myself, and make certain I have what my customers need. I takes work, but it can be done.

NEVER have I seen a store with so many empty pegs on merchandise that should be there.(Fishermans can do it)

Im sure a little heat will come my way for this post, but I needed to vent. I have even worked for this company several years ago, and its only gotten worse. I guess I need to chalk it up as a place to buy baseball cleats for my kid. Its just frustrating living in the Gresham area with no options. I also worked for Larry's and sure miss an outfit like that on this side of town.....

There I feel better now. What time does Fishermans open tomorrow?

Oh yea. My nave is David Allen and I live in Troutale

[ 09-01-2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: TYEE-FISHER ]

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Re: Why do I shop at G.I JOE\'S???

How about us out here in Beaverton, the only thing we have right now is Joe's. They do have empty shelves quite often. I have heard of a new shop on the westside in the planning stages. I think it is going to be big. I hope it is true.

·
Registered
993 Posts

zaq that new store out our way is going to be a sportsmans warehouse cant wait my self

·
Registered
294 Posts

I'm over here in Tigard, and the Joe's here is just as bad. Fortunately though, I'm learning to make my own gear. It's rather gratifying to catch big fish on flies I've tied, or jigs or spinners I've made.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

The store I heard about is not Sportsmans. Plus Sportsmans has a terrible selection when it come to fishing gear. Their sales people are not the best informed people. Hopefully that will change with time. But the rest of the store is great for clothing and what not.........Chris

·
Registered
7,222 Posts

I've never worked at Joe's, but I'm assuming what we're seeing here is centralized ordering or purchasing where the individual stores don't have any input on what or how much inventory they need. It's better than it was 15 years ago when they were on the verge of folding, but still pretty bad. :depressed:

·
Registered
993 Posts

what dont they have carrot milk :grin: i can find every thing i need and all the people there are vary helpfull maybe you just have to be nice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts

If you guys think you have it bad, try shopping McMinnville :mad: They have Bi-Mart, Walmart and Big 5. What a joke they are!! Bi-Mart isn't too bad for the basics, if they aren't out of them and of course have them ordered. I miss Bill and Fishing Unlimited so much. :depressed: We have to go at least 25 miles even to get to Joes!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

My choice from first to last on FISHIN GEAR

1st Fishermans
2nd Sportsmans Warehouse
3rd B.C. Angling Post
4th BI Mart
5th Plaid Pantry
6th G.I. JOE'S

David in Toutdale

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

GIJOES cannot keep anything stocked. They bill themselves as the northwest outdoorstore, but the don't have what you need. It is really disapointing!

Also, have you guys noticed that they have a sale on something, and then they never replenish.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Hopefully all of you understand is both fisherman's and Gi Joes buy from the same place. That place is all-sports in clackamas (at least the gijoes in this area buy from them). The same thing happens at fisherman's where they run out of stock for extended periods of time. Hopefully if sportsman's can get things figured out about what they need in this area they will become the goto store on both side of the city.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

And if you have ever seen Allsports warehouse, it is not vey big.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts

FMS was open at Delta Park yesterday, I was there about 1:30 pm. I go in to spend money, (OK not much money, just $35.00) and get treated like I'm putting the guy at the reel counter out! How 'bout a little conversation! A "Hi there how are you? What's going on? What can I get for you? May I help you? Fine weather we're having isn't it? Been gettin' any lately? Watch'a been fishin' for? What ya' gettin' 'em on? Wanna' kiss my butt??????????

SOMETHING PLEASE.....I call it personality!

I guess it's a trade off between Joes' and FMS. FMS didn't have a very good selection of Alvins and other wobblers at least not the colors you want, and heck, the ad just came out yesterday!

Smj

·
Registered
993 Posts

your corect kris(xtp) joes tackle is not much to chose from maybe there buyers are fishing :rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts

Be cautious of speculating on the outage situation at any retailer.

Just like most things, it is much more complicated than it appears on the surface.

There are many reasons any retailer may be out of a particular item at any particular time.
Some are within the control of the retailer. Some are within the control of the distributor. Some are within the control of the factory reps.
Some are within the control of factories.
Some are within the control of customs.
some are within the control of the national economy.
Some are within the control of the world economy.

Just know that not all is what it appears on the surface in terms of product distribution, just as is the case with most things.

EDIT: Also know that in many cases, the store clerk's are not knowledgable in terms of the buying for their particular store. Since there are several avenues of distribution utilized, many are as confused as the consumer as to where and when they get their goods.

As a distributor salesman and a consumer, I share your frustration. But I also know there are a whole lot of variables in the mix.

[ 09-02-2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Banned
7,726 Posts

Originally posted by rockn'reel:
[QB] Hopefully all of you understand is both fisherman's and Gi Joes buy from the same place. That place is all-sports in clackamas (at least the gijoes in this area buy from them). /QB]
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Please be careful here.

Joe's also buys from Maurice, direct from factories and probably from other distributors as well. Same with Fishermans.

No retailer of any size can hope to stay in business utilizing but one distributor, it does not happen.

·
Registered
466 Posts

I have to chime in here. GI was having a sale on corkies and I went in to stock up. I looked for pink pearl and did not find any. The sales person told me that the buyer did buy any of that color because he thought it would not sell. Good Lord!
Want planet was that buyer from. I've caught more steelhead on pink pearl than any other. Don't go in there unless I have to.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.