IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I took my Dad's old medium action trout rod out, with a #4 spinner, and hooked a coho! It is SO good to see Coho in the Kilchis.

But tell me, why do they spin like that?

I've had that happen so often! It's frustrating!

In other words, "What is the meaning of life?"

:smile:

Jen

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
They spin cuz they don`t know how to weave! :grin: Fishft. :shrug:

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you know, you'd think they would want to be released, but just as you reach down to unpin them, they say, "Watch this!" and start spinning up the line!

ARGH!

J

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
Maybe after a long fight they have a stroke and one side stops swimming? So they spin. Just a wild theory. :laugh: Fishft.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you know that they spin the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere?

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
They're lopsided, with one fin being longer than the others. That's the one they extend when they jump.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll agree with the lopsided theory. My brother hooked and I netted a nice approx 10 - 12 lb. fin clipped hen off Lady Island on Tuesday, she did the "coho roll" like crazy. I got the eggs, and one skein was about 25% bigger than the other. This lopsidedness must cause the fish to roll over uncontrollably when they get excited and see they are going to make it into the bottom of a boat. One other hard take down, that fish is now wearing a pink wiggle wart in the side of its mouth, still swimming upriver.
FisHoTom

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
You were using a spinner when you caught it, right? Ergo, you attract spinning fish. If you want to catch fish that just swim back and forth you have to use a wobbler.

No, no, don't thank me. :grin:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think it's just that all Coho are Democrats or media types! Okay, okay, or Republican's too - I don't want to start a war.

Seriously though - doesn't seem like its as common with Sandy coho as it used to be with the coastal river ones.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jennie- All I know is when they spin and get wrapped-up in the line I can land them a lot quicker.
More time to catch more.
Good fishing, and catching.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
They spin clockwise when you use a left handed reel and counterclockwise with a right.

[ 11-05-2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: adiboy ]

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will someone please tell them just to stop it?
Now???!!!

Jen

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
STOP IT!! You guy`s are killin` me!!! :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
733 Posts
thank you old coot..... :bowdown:

·
Registered
327 Posts
All I know is that when they start spinning and twisting they soon become mummified in mono. Nothing like bringing in a green fish sideways (or backwards sometimes) slowly unraveling as your pulling when at the last moment right next to the bank, the last twist unravels and ZZZzzzzzzz there goes the next run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts