IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing out of Neah Bay this week, I could not steer to port. Lost it all of a sudden after 5 hours on the water. What gives? I had to travel several hundred yards then do a complete 360 to come about to the correct course for several miles. After trailering the boat i disassembled the rear zerc nut fitting on the cable exiting the transom to the jet nozzle and turned the steering wheel several times. Water, air & grease were expelled from the cable housing while turning. Do I have a bad seal, a leak, or did I add to much grease last time i lubed up??

I tightened up the zerc nut as I turned the wheel & heard air popping noises. I did not add any grease. Next day performed fine. Next day the same. What happened??

Thanks in advance.
Full Freezer (2 limits of Coho.. no Kings.. 10 Wild for every keeper... lost about as many...double hookups common... lots of high fives... you get the picture).

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sounds like a hydraulic leak. Bleed with hydraulic steering fluid (check your manual or the dealer) to get the air and water(?) out. IF you have water in your hydraulic system, you need to find where it came from.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you have power steering? If so the actuator valve only moves about 1/8". Make sure nothing is interfering with its travel or that of the steering cable.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Non-powered steering. No hydrolic fluid to mess with. Instructions said to grease occasionally with a couple of squirts. Has anyone else had this problem??

Full Freezer

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Not enough grease or often enough is my guess. You just had a run in with Mr. Corrosion.

Other guess is a frayed steering cable. If it works fine for awhile, then locks up and will only go one direction (especially after you have turned further than normal in a direction) then you may have a frayed cable hanging up on something.

From the sounds of the stuff that came out when you loosed the greese fitting, I would say it is probably #1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts