IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no hidden agenda with this question, nor a position one way or the other, just curiosity: I was reading another thread on Ifish the other day about walleye, smallmouth and other non-native fish in the Columbia, and the fact that they eat salmon smolts. Are these fish doing significant damage to salmon recovery? And if so, why are there any limits at all on walleye or smallmouth?

[ 11-05-2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Waterfish ]

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Yes they do eat smolts,lots of them.My guess as to why they keep these fish around is because they produce revenue.Bass and walleye fishing is very popular,And I enjoy catching them from time to time but if I had to choose between the two I pick salmon & steelies.
R.R.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Waterfish, I think there are limits on bass and walleye for the same reason there are limits on salmon and steelhead, mankind would decimate the population if there weren't.

There's no limit on yellow perch (in Oregon) if your looking for a fish species to decimate:)

Smj

·
Registered
971 Posts
BassMasters, licences, all that crap.

Its virtually impossible to eradice the exotics once they are here, so ODFW is probably just going with it and treating the trashfish like gamefish.

(trashfish only because of where they are. In their native habitat, these are some great fish!)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
One man's trash fish / Another man's trophy.

There are a lot worse thing's out there affecting salmonoid populations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts