IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's going to catch that first winter steelhead? I've seen it done by someone in late October a few years back - Chrome Chrome bright.

Who's going to post the first winter steelie pic?

Which river will put it out first?

It's ALMOST time, and I can't wait!!!

SKP

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
OK, I am in on that one. I am going to start here soon. Anyone else got the itch yet.?>?>?>

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
gottafish already shared that he got one in the Clack ... my vote goes for gottafish! :grin:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gottafish, gottapicture? :grin:

Zaq, does carrot milk work for steelies?

SKP

[ 10-24-2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
This will be the first winter with Carrot Milk. However, it did work on a few of their summer cousins. We will see.........

·
Registered
472 Posts
In 92' got one in tidewater on a K-16 on October 3rd. So was that a late summer or early winter?? It had the blue back & chrome look of a winter fish. I'll bet there have already been a few cuaght.

[ 10-24-2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Streetwalker ]

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is my first year for Steelies. Can't say I'm in the running but excited as hell.
Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Not me.. :smile:
Its hard to give up chasing Nooks!
:grin:

G

·
Originally posted by ******:
On the coast it will be Mark and Stew. :grin:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Earliest I've caught winters down there has been late November. It's hard to say when the big rush of hatchery winters will start in but a tell tale sign will be the "aluminum hatch" on the Wilson.
Fishin Magician or FCJigs Mark get my vote. Jennie will nail one in her backyard too :smile: Of course all her steelhead are pets and she even names them. She didn't like that my youngest son hooked and released "Buford" in the upper hole on her property last winter :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The earliest winter steelhead I saw caught on the coast was on Nov 10th on the Nehalem. Saw both fish caught at the mouth of the Salmonberry. We were catching Chinook and Silvers at the time. Caught and released a late Silver on the same river on the 4th of January.

·
Registered
327 Posts
the clown can win this contest over at the dock....you know what to do clown... #4 blue fox and whamo fish on. not droughting in colorado anymore steve :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I can tell you who it won't be, me :grin: I have never caught a steelhead in my life. I fished for them twice in the spring on the big Willy just above Wheatland and nailed a springer but no steel. Can someone
a poor fishless steelhead wanna be. Have rod, will travel :grin:

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I got that fish just up from oregon city bridge on a Baker Bug nymphing a fast run it was a bright black back steelie, Had no camera, the fish was about 7 lbs and the meat was very red. Baker bug is a yarn fly I tie it is a egg type fly that is two tone with crystal flash tied in and almost resembels a shrimp and a egg. works great on the winters and summers 30 steelhead this year and counting 25 on a Baker Bug.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I will again, be trying to catch my first winter steelhead this year. I've to date caught 1 OlyPen Nate & 2 summers. I need some steely MOJO!

Full Freezer

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
My buddy got one on Wednesday in the Wilson near Kansas Creek--Chrome native winter run on a glob of eggs and a 4/0 hook! No pic though--gentle release.

Another buddy of mine got one on the Trask (never saw it) 2 fridays ago--said it was about 4 pounds and a chromer too!

Crayfin

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Theres already a few winters around, we got one last year around the 10th of november (me thinks). Not this year though, gonna chase fall hogs until january.
Sublime,
Only the dark ones stink :wink: .

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
How can anyone think about steelhead when Springers are just a few months away!
I can't stop shaking..............

I bring this picture out every once in a while just to remind myself what is on the horizon!

Anyone know where this picture was taken? :smile:

[ 10-25-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: TH ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts