IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll likely be there Saturday evening and maybe Sunday too (Hewes 179 Searunner) trying for those elusive June chinook.

Anyone else going? Any reports from this week?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I was thinking about heading there on Saturday to fish the tide. I was out Wednesday. Put the rods in the water and had to take care of some personal business. :rolleyes: And you guessed it!
My rod started pounding. Since I had my hands full I just let it dance. Finally grabbed it and set the hook. It didn't feel real big so I figured it must be a jack. Not I got my first shad of the season! That was it for the day. But it's still early in the season. I'll say hi if I see you. We will be in 18 ft black on gray alumaweld.. We did see one hooked by a bankie but they lost before we got to see it.

[ 06-20-2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Small Fry ]

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Wea re thinking about too, but haven't heard what type of a week it has been. If we hear that the week was OK we might give it a try. not too sure yet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was out watching the bankies yesterday, saw a gentleman bring in a big bright nookie, probably went 30 lbs plus but it had to many fins,, bummer

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'll be somewhere in the area. Will be in a Smokercraft Osprey. What time is the best time to head out taking the tides into account??

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
Sat there for 8 hours on Tuesday. Polished my wobblers, sorted my leads, listened to the radio, read the paper, yakked with Harvey, used the binocs to investigate every passing boat, played with the GPS, made a few phone calls, swapped out terminal gear a dozen times, napped a little. Should have stayed home.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Pete,
At least Harvey wasn't cooking breakfast that day. I hate being down wind when he has the grub happening. Makes me hungry.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Was out yesterday for about 4 hours. Actually I was closer to Caterpillar island. I was the lone boat. Didn't have any take-downs. I thought the current was fine, and yes there were some weeds but my terminal tackle wasn't ever fouled. I checked it about every 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hi Pete,I was glad to meet ya out there.Yeah it was kind of disapointing not to get breakfast,I told my buddy all about it.But Harvey was thinking about his truck he lost his motor a couple days before and was looking for a newer truck.I towed his boat for him he needed a day off to just relax.I got my dad out of the hospital the next day,I finally got them convinced
they need to be in a retirement home it took this episode to make them see the light.So I'm going to be busy getting them in starting next week.Hopefully with the guys from the fire dept. I'll have them moved in one day.Then I get to clean and paint ?? the inside of their house and get it sold it for them.The guy that was with me hooked one about 35 lbs. and a few min. later I got one about 10-12 #'s we had to turn them both loose had an extra fin :depressed: we had my boat up by 50 fished Reed the next day and nothing and didn't see anything caught at least up by us.See ya again.
Bob :smile:

[ 06-21-2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have been fishing that 'general'area this past week. It was fair fishin' early in the week when the weather was sunny and windy. We were hooking fish and seeing fish hooked each day...mostly steelhead, but my pal landed one large chinook and we saw several boats do the long-distance chinooky drift. But as soon as the new front came in and the comfortable cloudcover came overhead, the fishin' absolutely died the last part of the week. Maybe one or two fish landed all day, each day.

We just need some more bright sunny windy weather....I guess??? :whazzup:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
i fished at the mouth of the lewis yesterday. saw one fish caught by a guy on the bank. they didnt throw it back so it must have been a keeper.
saw a guy trolling spinners hook two and release them both. he said one was over 40#.
then saw 3 guys in a beautiful yellow northriver in the main channel of the lewis release one.
got tired of seeing fish caught so i left to go upstream. up by collins beach area i saw 2 boats break off and float down with fish. one lost it at the net the other released. will be out tommorow. look for a blue 17 ft spectrum. or call "fishhound" on the vhf. kb

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I'm with Hogtide...we had hook ups each day of the week we were out...except yesterday. Just plain brutal out there..not to mention a 3 foot drop in the water levels, resulting in minimal flows on the incoming tide.

Best be paying attention to tidal flow from here on out.

Anybody that was out there Saturday deserves an "E" for effort, anyway.

Mark

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
We did pretty good yesterday out there. We were further DOWN stream than you folks, but we were there for 30-45 minutes and STZII hits a fish. Than the tides changed and we started to troll.

We saw the ****tgoddess out there and he nailed a huge hog trolling. We had to go pick up STZII's drift boat, so we left fairly early. Sounds like it didn't get any better.

Other than a great dinner of Salmon and Salad w/corn on the cob and potatoes and a roll. MMM MMMM What a meal. Only way the fish would have been fresher is if we would have cooked it on the boat. MMMMMMM

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We didn't get out Saturday but did give the outgoing tide a shot on Sunday from about 2-5:30.

Wish I had more to report, but we got zippo for two rods, anchored up, using various combinations of Kfish, spinners, Alvins and some other spoons, fishing in water that ranged from 26'-30' - maybe we should have been shallower?.

There was no one else around other than one boat trolling, so we couldn't tell how anyone else was doing.

Anyone have any tips for the water depth to key on this week? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Garyk,

Anyone have any tips for the water depth to key on this week?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Fishing up at Bonneville (we released two natives, lost three) but fishing in shallow water, 14-15 feet seemed most productive.

Water is a lot of faster up there so I wonder if that depth would apply in the slower water downriver?

It was an all spinner show up at Bonneville, brass blades, red beads seemed to be the favorite.

Brion

1 - 16 of 16 Posts