IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm headed to alaska this summer to the Kenai area and was wondering if anyone has some favorite guides they use for halibut and kings?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You might start by scrolling all the way to the bottom of this page and looking at the links for "Alaska Fishing".

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
749 Posts
If there are fish in the Kasilof, Bob Ball will find them.
[email protected]
Kasilof is nice because there are no motors...driftboat only.
The Kenai is such a different game, at least it was in previous years.
Try middle of July.
Good luck.

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
If u are goin all the way up there go to the Kenai. The kasilof is not that impressive by Alaska standards. If u go with a good guide in the month of July on the Kenai u will be ver very satisfied. Just be sure to fish Super Tuesday and at least two other days.

:cheers: :shocked: :cheers:

Definitly check out the guides before u go with them, they are a dime a dozen on the Kenai with >360 availible and I would say that only 50% that I would even consider fishing with and maybe 20% of that that I would pay to take me fishing on that river. I guided personally four summers in Alaska and am very picky about who I would fish with.

But go, those fish are HUGE!!!!!!!! :grin: :cheers: :grin:

[ 01-15-2004, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Ty ]

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Call the tackle store right by the Soldtona Bridge. Many years ago I did a trip through them, guide, bed & Breadfast, fly out, the total thing. They did a great job. When I showed up 5 months after sending the deposit check, my check was still stapled to my paperwork. i asked about that and the owner told me that he doesnt want the money till he earns it. Rare these days. For the life of me I cant remember the name, have only been in there 30-40 times. Somebody will know the name. got it, Kens Alaskan Tackle. Soldotna, AK. Think it is on Stearling Hwy. Good luck and have fun.........

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
There are many better souces fer guides then Ken's tackle now aday's. Ken is not known fer telling things completely straight up and not known to be as trustworthy many that keep his company in the sport industry. Ty Wyatt.
However, Soldotna Hardware is a good bet, those guys are great and have better prices on reels and rods then we do down here, even beat GI Joe's and Fishermans Marine.

[ 01-15-2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Ty ]

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
I'd try and book Tim Hiner for the kenai (he's very good and a class act) Rod 'n Reel isn't bad either. As far as saying the Kasilof isn't great by AK standards I have to disagree, during the early run you can land 10-15 fish a day w/ a little effort and the second run is nice if you have an expirienced guide.. Double digit days are pretty common (about fall tbay sized fish). Its road accessible, IMHO there's is 2 alaskas, one thats road accessible and and one thats not and the 2 should be viewed by different standards.

The kenai is a ZOO. Lots of boats (alot of doughballs) Lined up shoulder to shoulder banks during red season and a good day kingfishing is only gonna be 1 or 2 fish a rod. The chance for a big fish is pretty good (skeena has just as good or better odds) but that is becoming an overexploited resource. And if the Red escapement is met the fishing goes to hell in a hand basket because the commercials get free reign (6-7) days a week 24hrs a day.

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
If you are an experience fisherman fish the bank and save you money to spend with a guide on the Kenai. Outlaw, I am not sur ethe last time u fished the Kisilof, but now adays there are 90% guide boats on that river and it is a litteral zoo just as much as the Kenai considering the relative size of the river. A great day on the Kasilof would be 5 kings, Cook Inlet Aqualcuture has cut way back on enhancement levels of Chinook.

By Alaska standards 10-15 kings a day is not alot. Just ask Dave Johnson about his 108 kings landed in 8 hours and five rods on the Nushigak River when he guided up there. Folks, imagine 108 kings in 8 hours, now that is good work!! They had triples all day to accomplish that and woudl still fish while fighting all there fish to accomplish such a number.

So, and Alaskan I am not, but I am welel aware of the standards established up there for fisherman.

Another suggestion is the Gulkana and Klutina, these rivers have bank access and are hot as a pistol in mid to late june as long as it is not a high water year.

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
If you are an experienced fisherman, fish the bank on the Keani and save you money to spend with a guide on the Kenai.

Outlaw, I am not sure the last time u fished the Kisilof, but now adays there are 90% guide boats on that river and it is a litteral zoo just as much as the Kenai considering the relatively small size of the river. A great day on the Kasilof would be 5 kings, Cook Inlet Aqualcuture has cut way back on enhancement levels of Chinook, so there are just less fish to go around.

By Alaska standards 10-15 kings a day is not alot. Just ask Dave Johnson about his 108 kings landed in 8 hours and five rods on the Nushigak River when he guided up there. Folks, imagine 108 kings in 8 hours, now that is good work!! They had triples all day to accomplish that and would still fish while fighting all there fish to accomplish such a number. Even with all the guides on the Nushigak, 50 fish days are common!

I posted some pictures from the three days I fished teh Kenai in Early July and super Tuesday produced >25 fish for four of us! and the third day things where more normal number wise, however we landed 5 fish over 40+, with one that was nearly 60 pounds and released for a $900 award towards a trophy mount from the Kenai Guids Association!!

So, and Alaskan I am not, but I am well aware of the standards established up there for fisherman.

Another suggestion is the Gulkana and Klutina that are on the road system, these rivers have bank access and are hot as a pistol in mid to late june as long as it is not a high water year. These up river "Copper River" are highly prized similiarly to our spring chinook and our very hard fighters with great meat quality even though they may be turning red.

[ 01-15-2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Ty ]

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Ty I lived in Kenai @ the bluffs hole for 6 years and have been back every summer since. Last year I averaged 5 kings a night on the kasilof (every night from the end of may til the end of june except for my excursions to other rivers) Most of the good guides I know on the kasilof were well into the double digits every trip during the early run. As far as comparing the kasilof to the Nush thats comparing Hondas and rolls royces. Like I said earlier, there are 2 alaskas the areas you can drive too easily, like the kenai peninsula where the origional question was asked about, or Fly out trips where the standards are much higher. Another nice operation to check out is Early Fishing. Please look it up on google.com. (FOP's)ifish member operation, they take care of everything and from what I heard from there clients, they are a class act.

Please, no contact information, for non sponsor guides.
Thanks,
Jen
Sorry jen didn't know that would pop up as a link.

[ 01-15-2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
One more thing, Like Jen said. Get ahold of Kim at Clam Gluch. Nice knowledgable honest and I thin she is still a sponser.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Silver King Charters in Soldatna! Book a trip with Joanne, she is a great guide. Her house is on the Kenai just downriver from town. She will get you fish. Do Not go with her husband, Bob. He gets half as many fish as she does and he is a turkey to fish with. Joanne is a sweetheart and knows the Kenai inside out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not this topic again!

Go to a search engine and type in kenai river guides and start probing. The guides from this site (ifish) have a good reputation from what I have read although I can't personally vouch for that. If your a shopper you'll see they are over priced, NOT COMPETITIVE.

I pay $100 for a half day and $150 a full on the kenai with a guide who has not created a monster and needs the money to cover show cost and the dinner bill. You catch my drift. This guide is small time and wants to keep it that way and is a total people person. He is a master rafter and his clientel is mostly of the hiking/white water rafting people. His business is divided to offer a real personal business and I may turn you on to it.

If your seeking a great halibut charter get a hold of Catch Alot Charters in Ninilchik. I've spent thousands on salt water adventures up here. Ask to hook-up with Raliegh. This young man will let you call the shots and give you options of whether to pull the lines up and head out to the land of the giants. Lots of fish and they run nice 28' Alumaweld 6 packs with indoor cabins and they have a private head.

E-mail me........

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
The Nushagak is the place to go. Much more room, more of the real Alaska experience, and great fishing. I've done the Kenai, not sure I care to go back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts