IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use them for eastern Washington. I write contact phone numbers and mark harvest and scouting notes on them.

I have OnX but it is not as great as many claim imo. The landowner info more often than not is not accurate to who you need to talk to for permission. My family that farms hates the 206 and 425 numbers calling and first words are “I got your contact info off OnX”. It is frequently followed by a dial tone, and they are sown of the nicer people.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I love paper maps. I lost a bunch of classic maps that I have collected over the years.

I used to check out garage sales and used bookstores for old maps and guidebooks.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I use both, paper and digital. I use the paper at home or at camp, where it is dry. But out in the field I'll use my phone or GPS.

·
Brood stock
6,305 Posts
I’m probably 90% onX and google earth these days. Still have paper of most of the areas I hunt.

I found some maps from the early 90’s that my Dad had. Chesnimus, sled springs, desolation, and the coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I like paper. My GPS gives a lot of detail but can't do that detail and big picture at the same time, screen isn't big enough. A 2 foot by 3 foot map is better. I use the GPS most but would never use it alone. In an absolute crunch situation, a map can be marginally effective toilet paper or decent fire starter, both jobs the GPS fails at.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I do. I always have a printed map from my nat geo software of every area I am going to hunt. I still carry a GPS and spot, but I never use them.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Used to a lot. Would plan the hunt in camp with them...where to go, where to get dropped off and picked up etc. Plan some big pushes with paper maps. Haven't used one the last 5 years or so...stopped hunting the unit we had the map for...lots of cool markings on those old maps...where deer were shot...how big...etc.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Old school I guess. I have a large assortment of paper that I still use regularly.
I do also - I usually have a mytopo map in the rig with me to kind of do a high level view of the place I hunt. I also have my gps and my cell with OnX on it but do like to have a paper map just because ;)

Reactions: StrawberryMTN

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love to use a paper map. I like finding old maps, it's surprising what they used to put on some old maps (Indian camps, etc.). I find it astonishing how many people my age can't read a map though. With that being said I use OnX 90% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Rugged Map serves a dual purpose; show everybody in topographic relief the hole we are going into and a mini-tarp to wrap the tenderloins in for the pack out :geek:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Paper maps and a Ziploc bag. Classic.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I like to use both. I will study the paper map to zero in on general places to start and move to the gps for a more blown up veiw

1 - 20 of 29 Posts