IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill hasn't taken the GPS plunge yet, and I don't know how to use one either.

I'm thinking Father's Day may be the day. :smile:

Anyhow... There are several expert fishing people I know that don't yet use GPS.

Do you plan on it?

Jen

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think what I need here is for someone to show me.. You know, let me borrow your GPS for a while, so that I can download all your hot spots?

:smile:

I'm just learning!!!

Sheesh!
Jen

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Pete is exactly right on what he said. Remember, they will help you navigate home, but they don't show you other vessels on the water.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hey Jen you can sell downloads from Pete's GPS for 500.00 a whack :smile:

Let us know were those hot Tuna fishing spots are :dance:

I use a GPS for Hunting have not had the courage to venture out in the ocean yet. Would wan't to get someone to take me out for a year before I would go out bye myself with others.

But Hunting I downed a nice elk about 2.3 miles of the beaten path gave my buddies the directions they punched in long. and lat. and ended walking right too me no problem. That was cool even better they got the heavey packs :smile:

Good luck on GPS venture and remember to shop shop shop and find you the best deal because prices to vary so much with these things.

I found myine from a retail store in Atlanta Ga. and after shipping cost I saved $73.00 from the next closest price. I must admit it was fun surfing around the net looking for good buys knowing yo had the money to spend... good luck

·
Registered
803 Posts
Jen, get one. You won't be sorry. They're really simple. I'll teach you GPS if you would like to teach me PIANO. I even use mine in the city. Like when you come out of the restaurant and it is dark and you don't know which way the freeway is........

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
We have had ours for 4 years. The first year, hubby couldn't figure out how to use it. Then one day, he picked it up and started playing with it. He said "duh"
and has been a happy GPS user ever since.

Of course... I figured out a few functions right off, but not full capability. Then one day.... I said "duh"
And now I can use it very well!

We don't go in the boat without it, the fish finder, the VHF and cell phone. Must have electronics. :bowdown:

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
There are some good reasons for GPS ... finding your way home in the fog ... finding where you left your crab traps in the ocean. A hand held, mapping unit can help you find your way around the country or back to the elk you shot on the other side of that ridge. With mapping software, an additional expense, you can link up to a computer and edit maps that you can download onto your GPS unit. With the optional software, you can also track tides on your GPS. GPS will not, however, predict weather or tell you where big ships are. There are other tools for those things.

For a little fun, you can download a GPS and/or Fishfinder and play for free: Lowrance Demo Emulators

The latest innovation is a GPS clip on that turns a PDA into a GPS receiver.

For hand-held mapping units, the Garmin e-Trex Legend is a nice unit, but the prices range wildly, so shopping is required. A nice step up is the Garmin e-Trex Vista, which adds 24MB of built in memory and basic navigation aids, but again - prices vary wildly!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Jen, I bought the Garmen Map76 last year and love it. Make sure if you get a GPS also buy the video on how to use it. The instruction book was a little confusing but the video made it simple. Wouldn't go out on the mighty Columbia without it.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Bought my Garmin GPSIII three years ago, and used it occasionally. About a year ago I downloaded the Mapsource software off of peer sharing program (WinMX)and absolutely love it now and use it all the time. I can map out the route or the trip on the PC or laptop, or use it 'real time' on the laptop on the road and camping out, my favorite! I did a little research and found that the Garmin was a little more user freindly than my buddies Magellan(sp), and had a few more features as well.
My brother and I did a hike several years ago, if it wasnt for the GPS, we'd have spent the night out in the woods!
We've taken it snowboarding and had it record our route, max speed, altitude etc.........
You'll find a ton of uses for it.

KC

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just wondering, is it legal to do that? File sharing?

Isn't their software laws concerning this? I am a stickler for copyrighted software. I would assume since you are writing about it, that this is legal, but I don't know. Can you provide some insight?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd strongly suggest getting a GPS. If you're gonna err, err on the side of safety. They're not that expensive & have gotten me back to camp more than once after being turned around, weather set in, whatever. They really do have a bunch of uses.
I simply don't leave home without it, no pun intended.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I mainly use mine for hunting, Great tool.I have a garmin GPS III+. Very easy to use. Here is a good site for getting more info on them also. GroundSpeak

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello all

I live near Bodega Bay in California and have been using GPS on my boats for 7 years. 1st unit was a Garmin 120, just a basic unit but very useful. I now have a Garmin 235 sounder/chartplotter and would recommend for anyone buying a GPS for Coastal use to buy a chartplotter.

The big difference is that a chartplotter GPS allows you to download a navigational database showing a representation on the screen of the coastline, locations of navigational aids and hazards, major geographical and oceanographical features such as undersea canyons, seamounts, etc.

The ability to mark waypoints showing hot fishing spots, create routes to follow to and from harbor, enter coordinates from other fishermen and Nav to them, are just some of the many uses.

My Garmin allows me to move a cursor from my present position to a spot of interest and gives the bearing to follow and the distance to travel. This can be invaluable if you should receive and have to respond to a distress call with a Lat/Lon reading or find that hot Tuna or Salmon bite you just heard on the radio.

I would never buy anything less for the ocean than a chartplotter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts