IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a spare spool of power pro laying around and am toying with the idea of loading it up on my drift rod. i've heard of a few people using it for drifting. i'm just looking for some pro's and con's to the idea.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
what about using hi-vis braids for steelhead w/ a mono leader?

·
Registered
490 Posts
All my reels have braid. Mono feels like fishing with a rubber band after using braids. Whiplash or power pro both work for casting. Tuff+ is OK for sturgeon but is hard to handle when casting cause its soooo limp.

[ 05-21-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Is "Power Pro" spectra or some other new material? I have mixed feelings about "super lines", but I like spectra products.

Thanks

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I use nothing but Ande 8lb for my drift fishing. I also insist on soft foam rod grips and wear welding gloves when drift fishing. All those pesky annoying little bumps and tugs are nearly eliminated! :hoboy:

Seriously, anyone who has not tried drift fishing with one of the good "spectra" braids is still bobber fishing in the dark! :dance:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I really like my Fireline and in the bright green it is so easy to watch the drift. It casts very well from my abu 6501, I don't know how good it would work from a spinning reel though. I spooled it up after fishing with Chris Vertopoulos this winter for steelhead. It worked pretty good for putting fish in the boat.

I put about 3' of mono of equivelent strength before the leader to act as a shock absorber for hook sets.

I second the double uni for line splices!

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey wreckless,
power pro is spectra fiber. tufline is "manufactured with" spectra fiber. tufline pro is "100% spectra fiber". tufline XP is made utilizing "aerospace technology" so we don't really know what's in it and they probably can't tell us because of national security concerns.

[ 05-21-2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
10 or 12 lb Maxima Ultra Green. Tried a couple of the super braids for drift fishing and did not like them at all. It really sucks when you get hung up good. The time it took me to break it off and get it re rigged. I could have rigged up and had 5 or 6 good drifts in.

I caught a lot of steelhead driftfishing this year just on my good ol' Maxima.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Thanks Ampersat,
I guess I'll have to pull off the 8# Northwest I put on my old Shimano 201 back in the 80's and try some of that stuff :grin:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
i like power pro/tufline xp too. i like to tie directly to swivel with a mono leader. i like to use pencil lead with surgical rubber. you usually get your swivel back and just have to put a new leader on.

G

·
I use braided for everything but driftfishing. I don't like the way it stacks on the spool for casting and throw a backlash with it and see what happens :shocked: :mad:
Gimme Ultragreen for drifting.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i thought that the hi-vis might spook the fish w/ a 3' leader :shrug: if not it would be nice to really see your line when it stops Quick Fisher

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.