IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked..but for those that can help be great to know what these spots are..I will get a picure of them...They have no depth to them and under 20X mag the look just like surface oxidation...but where & why are they on my boat, what causes them..

I know its not electric, boat has been tested in fresh & salt water

I have zinc on boat

I wash the thing every time it goes in the water.

What yee all say???

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have noticed them also. On my boat, they appear on the transom below the swim deck.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
1-Egg goo.
2-Bird doodie.
3-Oxidation.

Mark and the black with a white chin dog.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Got some too, not bad and appear to be just on the finish. I believe it happens when the zincs get oxidized, not sure tho. They virtually disappear with some elbow grease but its alot of work. Sure wish someone could give a product name of that acid wash I keep hearing about. I too wash my boat before AND after each and every trip not to mention a good flushing yet spots showed up at the end of the last summer season. I added 10 pounds of zinc to the stern, hope that keeps it from happening again.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think it is just a natural oxidation of unpainted aluminum. I never see it on the painted areas of my boat. I do see it on the Chrome to a small degree and have it on the rails ever year. I clean them with fibre glass rubbing compound and then give it a good wax job. Lasts all year.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Tundra - I used some stuff called Hull Brite (???) that I picked up at Stevens Milwaukee. They also have some stuff there with phosphoric acid - it sounded a little harsher than the oxalic acid based stuff I got. Word of caution, this stuff will start eating the galvanization on a trailer, protect it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am having the Metallurist that works for us look at my boat and also, we will take the transducer mount that has these spots and he will test it along with a small scraping of the bottom of the hull to determine the material. I have been told that Alumaweld is NOT using 5000 series alum, but rather has been using 6000 series. (This conflicts to what they have told me.) This is could be a big problem since their boats are being repersented as being contructed out of the 5000 series. But will at this time assume it is of the better quality 5000 series, only would make since....

I will post the results when I get them.

[ 07-11-2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: NETONE ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts