IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted by me:

Trim-a-fish proves delish

Volunteers show up to clip adipose fins on fingerlings, then stay for a barbecue lunch.

HENRY MILLER
Statesman Journal
April 5, 2003

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=59493

Should be a follow up article with pic's because they had a photographer there.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Evidently the Statesman journal won't be doing another follow up article this year on the Whiskey Creek fin clipping. I emailed Henry Miller inquiring about this because I saw one of their photoghraphers there. Sounds like the pic's will be of good use when the time comes. Here is his responce:

Dan,
Not really.
Diane Stevenson, the photo editor, was on a coastal weekend, and I asked her if she would stop by and shoot the fin-clip day so that we would have:

1. Photos of fins being clipped that we can use with hatchery stories in general.
2. So that when we do next year's story calling for volunteers at Whiskey Creek, we won't have to use those reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally old ones that we have now in the archives.
3. In case Nehalem Hatchery goes back under the knife, we'll have photos to use with it to show where some of the fingerlings go.
4. She also made the loop to shoot Cape Lookout (yurts feature), Sand Lake (summer alcohol ban goes into effect this year), and Netarts Bay (crabbing).

henry
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Here is a couple more pic's from the fin clip and including two of Dean the Idaho fin clipper. After I met Dean at the fin cliping event I asked him jokingly; "what's an Idaho fisher doing fin clipping Oregon springers"? He told me that might be his only chance to get his hands on a springer.

Funny guy! Here's a pic of him when he stoped in Depoe Bay a couple days later:

Port Docks Depoe Bay Crabbing

Boiler Bay

More springers!

Fin clipped and ready to go!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Dan, thanks again for showing me some of your spots around Depoe Bay - hope to give them a try on future trips.

Again, many thanks for the plastics, etc. and fishing tips. Enjoyed the visit with you.

Ended up spending most of my time in the Tilly area - finally managed to get into some keeper-sized crabs and even caught a few bass off the jetty one morning. As slow as everything was, the weather was tolerable, the scenery breath taking, and I truly enjoyed a week away from work.

Thanks again.

Dean

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dean,

Glad to see ya made it back to spud country all right and you finally got into some crab and bass. Right after you left I ran into one of the locals wife and she told me her husband was fishing Pirate’s Cove. They have been catching some nice Ling off the rocks. I’m not hard core enough to fish in that kind of weather anymore though.

Didn’t make it up to Longview today, just couldn’t talk myself into the springer madness. Maybe tomorrow.

When I was delivering tackle to the local store a little while ago a truck turned onto hwy 101 and lost a bucket out of the back of his truck. Nobody stopped to pick it up so I did figuring it was an empty bucket. It was full of fishing tackle, a knife, hook file, herring, lead, etc. I went out to north point and got a phone # from a fisherman who thought it might belong to his buddy in Waldport. Called him and it was indeed his.

I’m going to go back to north point and give it to his buddy if he is still there. When I get back I might post a couple pic’s of some rockfish some fishermen caught while I was there about 7:00PM.

Dan

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I've got some pics of the massive crowds I'll post (already threatened to do it once, but either the pics are somewhere else when I have the time or the pics are with me and I don't have the time)

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Mate (Pillar's Mate), don't feel bad. In all the uploading and confusion, I originally posted these on the 3 bag limit thread!

I don't know if I will edit and post anymore as most of the rest are aweful dark. Thought I would post a couple of Dean because he came all the way from Idaho to clip, meet Ifisher's and participate in the jetty gig. Good guy and spent some time with him in Dopey Bay on Monday but the weather was too bad to do much. He did get a mild dose of coastal biology however! :hoboy:

Beautiful day at the coast today! But I am headed for Longview to deliver and see if I can catch a springer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts