IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are pulling a diver which way is best to troll. With the currant or aganst it? I have caught fish both ways but was wondering which is the most productive for other people.

SL

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have hooked more against it.... I dont know why.. I think its because I am moving the bait slower.....Just my theory///

·
Registered
675 Posts
Both are succesful. If the fish are spread out on the Columbia, like the church hole going with allows you to cover more ground and actually your bait will turn to slow if you do not properly rig it.

With the current is good when fish are tight in schools and have not spreadout. You stay right on top of them and hammer them. Bait can move, turn to quickly for nooks if again not rigged right. Bouy 10 is the best example of against the tide.

As the fish move on into the Washington and Oregon sides and split up into pods vs schools the first is my suggestion.

One other item. If you have 300 boats going with the current. try not being one of three going against.

tight lines

vp

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
...go with the majority, unless there are no other boats around, to do otherwise creates bad mojo. either way going against is the only way I`ve caught fish...not that that is saying a whole lot :wink:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Sometimes I troll with the current, other times agianst. A lot depends on how hard the current is running. I like to keep my diver flasher combo at a 45 degree angle. If the current or undercurrent is running out and you try and fish with the current, unless your cookin with your motor, it is hard to keep the diver and flasher from getting tangled up. Another successful technique is to zigzag across the current. Of course this is only to be used in areas where boat traffic is not to heavy (So that you don't cut any other boaters off!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts