IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have the VHF radio....and a stainless fully adjustable mount....now I need the antenna. First thing, it needs to be black, not white. So, that limits me to 2 (that I've found). One is a cheaper lightweight 8ft Shakespeare, the other is a 4ft heavy duty of the same make; for almost 2x the cost. I don't really plan on doing the offshore bit, at least not out of sight of land. Most of my fishing is Willy, CR, and coastal bays/rivers.

I'm not a real fan of the 8ft length, seems kinda long, but I don't want to limit myself, either.

Opinions??

TR

[ 11-01-2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: TheRogue ]

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hi TR...

Its neither black nor white, but I've found the 3 foot stainless steel works very well near shore. I've tested it 20 miles out of Newport, and the USCG & I can talk to one another.

KChookem

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The length of the antenna should be relative to the frequency you are transmitting. You get better reception with a full wave antenna than a half, and a half wave beats a quarter wave etc... I'd go with the 8 footer myself (yep that's what I have).

What wattage is your radio? Are you mounting the antenna on a radar arch or the rail of your boat. When I transmit at 20 watts everyone in my sled has to wear the lead aprons like you wear to get x-rayed :grin: . I am kidding about that, but at 20 watts there is a radiation hazard of like 25 feet. You put the antenna on a radar arch, and it puts the plane of radiation above your heads.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
TR, Shakespeare says that their antennas can be painted. This is from their FAQ.

Can I paint the antenna, and with what?
Shakespeare's antennas can be painted any color you wish. But, make sure not to use any paint containing metallic chips or lead bases.

http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/antennas/ant-faq.htm

[ 11-01-2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: jimh ]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Use a loaded Stainless steel antenna. The load is a small orange juice can looking thing at the base of the antenna. Our main man in the CG aux. here at the mouth of the CR swears by em. He spends about 700 hours a year on the water and says they are the only antenna he has used that will hold up to the environment and still do a very good job. If you have ever been rendered assistance by a CGAUX. boat it was probably Ralph Gilbert on the Bay Mist II,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts