IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need to upgrade my gear. I've used a buddy's Curado a couple times, besides some early struggles I liked it. I need a versitale reel that I can used for salmon and steelhead. So if anyone could share some advice, I would appreciate it. I am looking to stay in the $90-120 range. I am all ears...

[ 10-15-2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: MightyMo ]

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
MightyMo,

welcome to ifish, you might find that you will get a better response if you first share with us a fishing story. Sort of a thing around here.

asking for reels suggestions may also unleash a torrent of conflicting opinions. you might try a search of past topics as well.

El Kabong!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Abu Garcia 6500 C4, dark blue, metal push-button free spool w/ extra spool from Ollie Damon's will bring you to about $110-120 without line. Load the Steel spool 10-14lb, Salmon spool 15-25lb mono. Maybe a third spool w/50-80lb braid.

I think this would be the most versatile use of your money. The Curado will already exceed your budget at retail pricing and it's line capacity limits it's use for big bad Kings in deeper water or in the ocean. It started off as a freshwater bass reel and is not really made for fish much over 10-12 lbs. BTW I like Curado's. I own two for summer steelheading.

G

·
Originally posted by MightyMo:
Alright, I need to upgrade my gear. I've used a buddy's Curado a couple times, besides some early struggles I liked it. I need a versitale reel that I can used for salmon and steelhead. So cough up the advice, I am looking to stay in the $90-120 range. I am all ears...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Put another $30 with it and go with the Shimano Calcutta 200 or 251. Good for steelhead and can handle salmon if need be.
Try the ifish want ads or ebay.

Also "please" and "thank you" are sort of a thing around here too :smile: "So cough up the advice" probably won't get you very far.

[ 10-14-2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Like the Dr, said you cant go wrong with the 6500 I have 2 of them and havent hade any proublems with any fish I have hooked. I also picked up extra spools and I use 15 for steel, and 20 for springers, and 50 braded for Mr big sholders.
Good luck, there are lots of reels out there but I use what works for me.
Tight Lines RIVER-RAT.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
MM,I feel that a person needs a steelhead outfit and a salmon setup. You won't be happy with one size fits all. Bare minimum two rods and two reels. Trust me on this one. You may want to check the used fishing gear here on ifish.

[ 10-14-2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I'd have to say, two rods and two reels also. I have a Curado for steelhead and it was the best investment I've ever made in fishing. I absolutely love that reel. I have a Ambasseduer(sp?) 6500 for salmon and it's been really dependable for me. I'd say, the Abu Garcia Ambasseduer series would be your best bet for an "all around" reel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
MightyMo,
Think of how many replies you did NOT get by your "So cough up the advice" line and especially all that on a first post. Always ask nicely and say thank you for any questions you want answered.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stew, I want to apologize for my lack of manners. I was looking forward to gaining some good advice and left them at the door.

I appreciate everyone sharing their two cents. I realize I need a set-up for both, guess I am trying to kill 2 birds will one stone. I will check out the C4's.
Wish I had a decent fishing story for ya. Give me a lil while and I will go out there and earn one worthy of sharing.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Two rods and two reels? My girlfriend would love it if I only had two rods and two reels! :laugh: I think a guy needs 2 or 3 salmon rods (I have one for springers, one for hawgs, and one for trolling), 2 or 3 steelie rods (one for drift fishing, one for plugs, one for bobbers), and a couple of sturgeon rods. Oh yeah, did I mention surf and bank rods? Just wait 'til I learn to flyfish! :grin:

Actually, I think a guy can get away with one of each (7'-8' 15-50# with a Penn 320 for sturgeon and trolling for hawgs; 8'6"-9'6" 15-30# with an Abu 6500 for most salmon fishing; and a 8'6"-9'6" 6-12# with a Curado or smaller Abu C4 for steelhead). I just have a garage full because I'm a "gear geek", and because not everyone who comes on my boat is properly equipped! :cheers:

Good luck, and welcome to ifish!

G

·
Nothing wrong with the C4's at all. In fact it is one of my workhorse reels.
My philosophy has always been to get the best you can afford and maybe go the extra $20-30 to get the best...that is what I did when purchasing Calcutta reels.
I found out the hard way with cheap fishing line,waders and raincoats that there are certain things you don't go cut rate on.
All the reels mentioned here are good reels and you cannot go wrong with any of them.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
get the 6500 and at same time get yourself a berkley AIR IM7 by buzz ramsey(around 70 bucks). I have the med. heavy with the 6500 and cast 2oz lead and spinner from the bank, have jigged with it and troll mag warts and wiggle warts have caught many chinook/silvers and B-run steelhead with this rig, for what I am doing more than happy with it......and if something happens at least I won`t have to spend a fortune to replace it all. also.....have used nothing but 20lb. ultra green on it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I agree abu 6500 c4 and a berkley im7(buzz ramsey). have a 9ft 2 piece and have loved it. got a 30# nook a few weeks ago and never had a problem with it. Worked great. and if you are not in a hurry fishermans has a killer sale the day after thanks giving. 40 some bucks for the rod and around 70 for the reel. Only thing is i like the tuff line xp 50# bright yellow over other lines. Naturally water proof and easy to see. What ever you get hope it works well for you.

Cartman

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Depends on your budget. C3 or C4 for a great starting point. They are workhorses for sure. (Keep them clean, and back off the drag all the way when not in use and you'll never have a problem) If budget permits, go with the Calcuta.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I love my Curado!! Best casting reel I have ever used.
Two drawbacks (1) not a lot of line capacity and (2) very difficult to get the line through the hole.
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have a couple 6501s and like them a lot. I also have some nicer reels (Penn 965 and Calcutta). The nicer reels have a MUCH better drag system. There's lots of good reels out there. Try shopping eBay. Your money can a long ways in buying a decent new or used reel. You may be able to get a calcutta at a price that fits your budget.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
In my opinion, the Ambassadeur 6500 is a little big for steelhead if you are using it for a casting reel (drift-fishing) in my opinion. You will be better off with a less bulky 5500 and it will still work fine for chinook. I have caught many large chinook on my 5500's. If you are going to use it for chinook fishing in big wqater though like the Columbia etc. You will be better off with the 6500. It is hard to find a rod and reel that will be perfect for both applications.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Just purchased a Pflueger Trion Baitcast 66 for $97.00 (also came with a Free Ball Cap :smile: ). It casts nice, reels nice, its drag is smoth and easy to adjust... last time out I spent 40 plus minutes landing an oversized Sturgeon (7 plus feet). I also have a Penn 320...a much heavier reel.
My very inexperienced two cents.
Troy

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I use to have Ambassadeur 6500's on all my rods, but last spring I switched to the smaller 5500's (5501 C3 to be exact) and have been very pleased. I use them for all my fishing wether it's in a boat or from the bank, trolling, plunking or cast/drifting. I haven't had any problems with them and all of the drags work very smoothly. I think they are a very good reel for $65.

JK

[ 10-15-2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Artwo ]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts