IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Shimano on my Loomis SAR1084 finally gave out. I want to replace it with a left hand low profile 400 series line counter to run 25-30lb mono for trolling. Thinking of the Lexa or the Tekota, or maybe something else. Any suggestions?

· Registered
2,104 Posts
Reels are totally personal preference and the two you've suggested are popular for a reason.
Personally I use the Okuma Coldwater Low Pros. I have about 15 of them at last count. They're good reliable reels that retail for about $150 and can be had for under $100 when BiMart has them on sale.
I run a braid backing with a mono topshot for everything from kokanee and perch to kings. They're reliable and when parts are needed they're available quickly and cheapy (often free) from Okuma.
When I made my initial investment I looked very closely at the Tekota but ultimately decided I was better to invest in additional Coldwaters and I haven't regretted it

· Registered
1,004 Posts
Not exactly low profile, but I really like the Penn Fathom ll linecounter reel, FTHll15LWLCLH. Super smooth, great drag. If you do happen to get moisture into the line counter, you can push a button and it will clear the screen.

· Registered
350 Posts
Not exactly low profile, but I really like the Penn Fathom ll linecounter reel, FTHll15LWLCLH. Super smooth, great drag. If you do happen to get moisture into the line counter, you can push a button and it will clear the screen.
I'm curious about this reel, specifically. It looks like a great option. What made you purchase this over the others?

· Registered
7,054 Posts
I would strongly suggest Daiwa or Shimano. I've had reels from each that have lasted through some serious abuse and use. A strong third would be okuma.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm curious about this reel, specifically. It looks like a great option. What made you purchase this over the others?
Maybe it's just me, but I have had horrible luck with linecounter reels. Not the mechanics of the reels, but the linecounter portion. I have changed the linecounters on Daiwa Lexa's and Okuma's so many times that I can almost do it in my sleep.

I'm a big fan of Penn reels so thought I would give a linecounter a try. Talking with people that own this reel, everyone gave them a A+. They are not cheap, they run $220 - $260. I think I got mine from Fisherman's Marine for $220.

· Registered
350 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I have had horrible luck with linecounter reels. Not the mechanics of the reels, but the linecounter portion. I have changed the linecounters on Daiwa Lexa's and Okuma's so many times that I can almost do it in my sleep.

I'm a big fan of Penn reels so thought I would give a linecounter a try. Talking with people that own this reel, everyone gave them a A+. They are not cheap, they run $220 - $260. I think I got mine from Fisherman's Marine for $220.
this is great to hear! I’m surprised more Penn reels aren’t used if this is the case.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
I run the cold waters and lexis. I like the coldwater’s better for big currents at B10 (use them in the salt as well.) and the lexis for everything else. The line counters on both leave a lot to be desired, as I’ve had failure issues on both models.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
Diawa Lexa Lc have become my favorite. Had it out last a week ago in 9 days of downpour. Lc got a little stubborn when soaked but once i discovered that I just kept my eye on it when letting line out. If the lc didn't engage I just hit the reset to wake it up. No issues. The 100 lexa even though small handles big steelhead.

· Registered
775 Posts
I've been on the hunt for the best line counter for many years. I have Okuma Convector/coldwater (old), Diawa accudepth/sealine/lexa/saltist, and shimano tekota (old and new). I've been looking for a Penn fathom LC sale, but they don't go on sale ever. A friend brought one on my boat last year, I really liked it. I have non-LC Penn fathoms for tuna and they're great.

Out of the ones I've owned, tekotas and lexas are my favorite, although the saltist LC is a trusty old reel, fast retrieve, many years in the salt. Lexa 400LC is a beast of a low profile reel, loud clicker, lots of drag, I just wish they made it in a 6.3:1 ratio. It's only offered as a 5.5:1 and it's a little slow at 27" per crank. Like others have said, personal preference.

· Registered
5,065 Posts
So has the Okuma product improved?? When I left in 2015 it was easily seen as the "Affordable" option.
I’m in the minority opinion, but I have had horrible luck with Okuma reels and their lack of customer service. The last two that I’ve purchased have gone back for warranty repair / replacement within the first season of use, and the second of these has not been repaired / replaced after nearly two years (Fisherman’s returned it to Okuma in May 2021). After getting “Covid” and “Supply Chain” excuses when I checked with Fisherman’s every 6 months, they put me in touch with the head of Okuma customer service. I spoke with him in November, and haven’t heard a word back since. I haven’t counted lately, but I’m sure I own over 40 reels (including at least a dozen salmon trolling line-counters); I can pretty much guarantee you that I will never buy another Okuma reel.

For “budget” workhorse reels, the Daiwa Sealine is my go-to; unfortunately, they don’t offer it in a low-profile version. The cheaper Daiwa Acudepth reelsdon’t hold up to saltwater.

My fishing partner has had great luck with his Tekotas and Shimano service, and he’s even harder on reels than I am. In that price range, the Lexa and Fathom would catch my attention.

Since I told the sad truth about Okuma reels, I’ll sign my full name.

Robert “Scott” Johnson

· Registered
350 Posts
I’m in the minority opinion, but I have had horrible luck with Okuma reels and their lack of customer service. The last two that I’ve purchased have gone back for warranty repair / replacement within the first season of use, and the second of these has not been repaired / replaced after nearly two years (Fisherman’s returned it to Okuma in May 2021). After getting “Covid” and “Supply Chain” excuses when I checked with Fisherman’s every 6 months, they put me in touch with the head of Okuma customer service. I spoke with him in November, and haven’t heard a word back since. I haven’t counted lately, but I’m sure I own over 40 reels (including at least a dozen salmon trolling line-counters); I can pretty much guarantee you that I will never buy another Okuma reel.

For “budget” workhorse reels, the Daiwa Sealine is my go-to; unfortunately, they don’t offer it in a low-profile version. The cheaper Daiwa Acudepth reelsdon’t hold up to saltwater.

My fishing partner has had great luck with his Tekotas and Shimano service, and he’s even harder on reels than I am. In that price range, the Lexa and Fathom would catch my attention.

Since I told the sad truth about Okuma reels, I’ll sign my full name.

Robert “Scott” Johnson
Thank you! this is helpful. I'm surprised so many are using the thumb release LEXA. I've always like Daiwa. Penn is definitely new to me for this application.

· Registered
627 Posts
My issue with the Coldwaters is stiction in the drag. I like to make adjustments during the fight depending on what the fish is doing (loosen when he runs, tighten when I'm dragging him in). But with every Coldwater I've owned, I turn the drag to loosen it and nothing changes and then all of a sudden it's too loose and I'm turning it the other way. Annoys the hell out of me.

I bought my first Lexa years ago when they first came out. Not a lot of options in left hand low pro line counter reels, so I was excited to give it a try. The drag works beautifully. The line counters, not so much. I mean, they work for a season or maybe two, but invariably I have to change out the mechanism. Which isn't hard to do, fortunately. Still, it seems like it's too fragile.

In any event, I still prefer the Lexas despite the short-lived line counter mechanism. It's drag is so much better and that makes a big difference to me. I've got them on all my salmon rods.

· Registered
129 Posts
I have both the Tekota 500 LC and the Daiwa Lexa 300 lc's. Just bought a couple of the Tekota 401 LC's. For the best bang for the buck the Daiwa 300 Lexa is money. I believe it has more drag than the Shimano's and comes with the carbon tex drags. That being said the Tekota 500LC's are built like a tank and will last for ever. They will both work great for trolling for salmon. I'm excited to see how these Tekota 401's perform this year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts