IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a drift boat, but I need some help from those with experience. My two biggest questions are: aluminum or fiberglass and 48" or 54"? As to the material it is made of - I like the idea of aluminum - seems like it would hold up to any kind of pounding I might give it, but I've also heard that fiberglass is very strong and is easier to control on the river. Any thoughts? As to the width of the boat, 48" seem more common in the used boats I'm looking at, but has anyone tried both widths and have an opinion?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
For what its worth.. I have both (well possession is 9 10ths of the law) Fiberglass 14' and Alumaweld 17'. I use the fiberglass all the time... its Quiet, smooth and not as cold on those winter days! I recently did some transom work on my fiberglass boat.. I tell you what, Fiberglass is alot tougher than it appears.. I used the fiberglass 30x this winter... the Alumaweld a total of 3 times!

·
Premium Member
14,397 Posts
my personal preference is fiberglass for the reasons listed by fastaction. also because i can actually do fiberglass repairs if i have to; i can't do aluminum repair. folks who have tried the 54" boats haven't gone back.

this is a topic that has come up a lot in the past. a tiptoe through the archives will yield you more info than you would know what to do with.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You see more 48"ers for sale because those guys are buying 54"ers. The wider bottom is a lot more stable than the narrow bottom. I like aluminum boats better because they are very low maintenance, and pretty tough.

RF

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have been rowing DB's for 30+ years. I would not own anything but a fiberglass DB. The Clackacraft w/ tunnell hull is awesome!!! :grin:

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
They all will get you into fish. Glass is nice, but needs a breathable cover if stored outside( unless you plan on buying another in a few years) to save it from the evil UV rays.glass rows better and worse than metal boats. They do not track as well. But they are easier to stop and row forward with. They do track well enough.

Aluminum is colder without a heater. I have a Willie that I have fished several days in the 10-15 degree range with a heater placed under the bow. You can't place a heater under the deck of a glass boat or it will bubble and toil and trouble :shocked: . I doubt those cold days would have been tolerable if the heater was not available. Aluminum requires diddly for maintence other than some Gluvit every so often. they are harder to stop in some waters than glass which costs potential fishing spots.

54"ers row a bit better than the narrower boats do, but there are other things that have a much bigger influence than how wide she is.

Wood is pretty to look at, but requires enough maintence to consider boat care as a hobby unto itself.

Find one that suits your fancy and plunk your money down. Unless you buy new, you will get your money back if you do not like it.

I will sell the Willie soon. My next drifter will be glass, but that is because most of my driftboat fishing is in the summer-prime time for a slick glass rig. If the winter and spring fisheries come into my life in a drifter again, then I will get whatever I get a deal on at the time.

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'm from Idaho and brought my Hyde fiberglass boat with me to Orygun. Most of what you see over there is glass boats. My model is a guide model with 54" width. I've rowed it up and down Nehalem bay from the jaws to past the barn hole. It must be easy to row because I'm an OF.
Some of the features are: adjustable aluminum rowers seat box. Removable aluminium rear seat locker. Pedastal swivel seat option fore and aft and a stand up removable knee brace aft. Its quiet and warmer than aluminium. Nice foot anchor release.
What I don't like is, when I went to put a kicker on it, the transom plate was hollow :shocked: . So I've added 5/8 plywood to fix that.
I've got a "Rowing a Drift Boat" video if you'd like to borrow it. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. And thanks Ampersat for the suggestion. I looked just in the archives for 2002 and found several long threads discussing this topic. Sorry I didn't think of that before, but thanks for your patience with me. For anyone else interested in this topic, check out the following posts from last year:

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=007884

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=005803

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=002249

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000470

See you on the river!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts