IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in need of some advice. I have searched and
searched for a used Koffler or Willie Boat and have been chronically a day or two late and have had the boats snatched up from under me. I am considering ordering a new boat (I really think boats from both companies hold their resale well). I have priced the same boat with the same options from each company and they end up around the same price. The only difference I have found is delivery time with Willie being a little quicker from time of order to delivery. My question is: How many of you have ordered new drift boats from these two companies and which would you recommend. I am looking for as little complication and as quick a turn around as possible being I am a little late in the year already. Thanks!

Deschutes2

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
deschutes2,

My fishing partner ordered a new Willie with ALL of the toys this spring, in the thick of the boat buying season and they had it done in a little over two weeks. It's the nicest driftboat that I have ever seen.

D.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I own an older Koffler and they have been good to me.
I would probably buy a Willie if I was inclined to buy a new aluminum driftboat.
I think the Willie holds it's value a little better if only because of their marketing.
These boats are almost identical in form and function.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Actually just saw "gottawayagain"'s ad for a 2002 Alumaweld loaded and ready to go with fish box and everything for $3800! I can't believe it's not sold yet. That's the best deal around right now. Sounds like it's had low use too.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Go with Willie! I have a friend who now has two custom made for him and they get them done in a timely manner. They seem to hold their value better too...if you can even find them for sale.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Get a price quote for the Willie with everything the Alumaweld in ad has and compare price, probably be 1K more. yes the Willie is unscratched, but that will be cured in 1-2 trips. After comparing the price remember the resale value is pretty much the same and you are looking at a bigger savings up front buying alumaweld used...geez it is only a '02!

just a thought.

gus

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the responses. Maybe it's just me but I really like the way a Willie and Koffler row, Alumawelds just aren't the same.

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
Unless you want something out of the ordinary( 20' driftboat, odd seat configuration, etc.) get used. If you have your heart set on a Willie, get a used Willie.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
543 Posts
deschutes2
Have you checked out the DB right in your backyard?

The name is Smith Rock River Boats
I have really done some research and I think that these boats are just as even as the Willie and Kofler..

I know that they have one heck of a deal going on at this time... Might be worth the look.

Just my $.02 worth..

[ 08-14-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
147 Posts
D2
when shoping it pays to look at all, springfield has the best for the money in RB Boats you order the boat in sweethome at midway sports I got a full deal 17' last year. took 12days from when i ordered it and handels like a dream price came in about 1200 under willie and koffler which i tryed out. if your bound to stay with one of the 2 you have named go with the koffler its not as far to drive if you do need to have something done after the sale :wink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go with the Willie, I ran a friends boat down the Alsea last fall, weather was terrible but that boat manuevered like a champ through the wind and rain. I was sold, As soon as I graduate and get a sweet high paying college edumacated type job I am going to order me up one. I even think I will make the trip down to Central Point and pick it up myself.

Just my oppinion, if that is worth anything.

Would you like Fries with that?

FOD

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I was just about to order new from Willie last year when I found a barely used one for 3,000 loaded the way I wanted it.
Keep an eye on some of the other papers. I got mine out of the Vancouver Columbian, they have a website and I was checking it every morning at 6 am.
Im sure the Salem and Longview papers are online also. There are a lot of used boats out there right now.

I looked at all of them and am VERY happy with the Willie.

Good Luck!
AL

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For what it's worth, I have been scouring the newspapers looking for a deal on a used Willie or Koffler, constantly coming in as the 200th caller! I'll keep looking though...I did look at the Smith Rock Boats but they start at the same price as the Willie Guides package, go figure! Anyways, if anyone spots one that they are not wanting to snatch up themselves, please email me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
D2,
I bought a new Koffler in late 2000. 16x54 inclosed deck, diamond plate floors, front seat is a bench seat on a large seat box. I love this boat. It was worth the trip down to talk to Bruce and/or Joe. They spend the time with you getting the boat that you want. Great customer service.
I think the turn around time was about a month.
I've never rowed a Willie, but there is no doubt that they are a great boat as well.
If you have any questions about Koffler you can email me.
Les

1 - 14 of 14 Posts