IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of taking my 16ft drift boat w/ and 8 kicker to go crabbing soon, and was hoping someone could provide some insight / recomendations for which bay would be the best bet.

I have been out in most of the bays, but always in a larger boat and haven't been out crabbing recently, so don't really recall if you could do in a drifter. Just don't want to get in over my head.

Any thoughts would be nice.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I am thinking of taking my 16ft drift boat w/ and 8 kicker to go crabbing soon, and was hoping someone could provide some insight / recomendations for which bay would be the best bet.

I have been out in most of the bays, but always in a larger boat and haven't been out crabbing recently, so don't really recall if you could do in a drifter. Just don't want to get in over my head.

Any thoughts would be nice.

Thanks
I used to take my Clack to Netarts and I have
gone to Nehalem. Nehalem is not fun when the wind comes up.
Netarts is easy to get back to.
:twocents:Lou

·
King Lingcod
49,098 Posts
Nestaccua NO!!, Siletz, Newport, Salmon river yes, I have done all of these in my drift boat I use to own. I was out on the Nestaccua several times in bad weather and it was not fun at all!!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I second the Nehalem. It's really productive just down river from the state park ramp.

·
"The Old Salt"
10,945 Posts
I have seen lots of guys with motorized drifters launch at Social Security Beach at Ft Stevens
They just motor out about 200 yards, drop the pots and go back to the shore, eat lunch or sit in thier rig sippin coffee til it is time to check the pots

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'd take a drifter out in Netarts no problem. I'd just stay in the upper bay, a bit more protected then the mouth if the weather comes up. Good luck! :food:

·
Registered
624 Posts
When I had a drifter, I used it in Tillamook, Netarts, and Nehalem it worked well but I only went out when the tide was incoming and I made sure there was not an extreme current swing. I did not go past Lyster's corner at Tillamook.

My wife liked running the drift boat much better than the present whaler. I like the whaler because it will not sink and I can cover more area, she does not like to go fast (on plane). Just be careful and keep your eyes on those other larger boats, people sometimes get distracted and may not see you.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Nehalem and Netarts are good bays for drift boats.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yaquina and Alsea Bay are also both doable. Use your head and look to see a small tide change. I usually do better at low slack, so go 1 hour before crab the slack and a few hours coming. If the tide change is very minimal you can crab all the way through.
Yaquina is easy: launch, run up near the docks, 5 min max, find the deeper holes, use cages due to sea lions, catch crab.

The Alsea you can launch and just hang out up river of the bridge.

With the rain coming, you may not want to be there during high water-muddy.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
WWF. Thanks for the info, I have never crabbed a low tide. I may need to try it this weekend. Would you consider a 3.5 foot exchange small? High is 6.4 at 9:40 am, and low is 2.9 at 3:30. Or would an afternoon low equal a lot of rough water?

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Exchanges don't get a whole lot smaller than that.

A large outgoing is going to be the worst for conditions, but wind will have a greater effect in the smaller estuaries. I'd get out there in the morning, chances are it shouldn't take long for a limit anyways.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
We crabbed Waldport (Alsea) this past saturday in my drifter... landed 41 keepers (counting the ones we had to throw out as we pulled/broke our pots down to go back in.) Only had to measure a few of them, lots of nice big ones!:cheers:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Netarts, Drop the pots/traps and eat lunch in the small grassy park.
Nice red rock crabs can be caught close to the rock jetty to the right after leaving the launch area. Great place to eat lunch.

Crabbing is not affected by rain run off as much as the other bays and it's pretty well protected. I know because about 5 years ago we were out crabbing and the wind blew 45 MPH at Cape Lookout and when we got back to camp we found out we were lucky to be out in the bay. While it was raining and blowing pretty good it wasn't as bad as at Cape Lookout.

I was in a Koffler 16ft with 8 hp kicker! :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts