IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kicking around some ideas, and would like some insight on 2 strokes. All opinions would be helpful on this one. If you had to purchase a 2002 or 2003 2 stroke....which one would you buy....and why?? Looking at 75hp.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do not buy a Tohatsu unless you never want to idle. Darn things run great wide open but fall on their face after about 2 minutes of idle. I have had mine into the shop twice with no change in attitude.

This makes it easy to find me. I am the idiot with an anchor rope in one hand and the pull string in the other cussing up a storm on the CR.

·
Registered
855 Posts
for my money Mercury.
I just got a new ride. But the old boat had 1992 200hp merc and and 8hp kicker. the kicke had bee trouble free not one unscheduled maintenance item since it was new. the 200 was only in the shop twice in all that time. Once the tilt motor and for head gaskets. And thats all since 1992 and I had them on 2 boats.
i just got anew ride in june and I repowered it with mercs again 200hp 2 stroke

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a 1985 115 mercury. It has been nothing but trouble. If I get another motor it will be a yamaha or suzuki. Also stay away from evinrudes I have heard nothing good about them.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Yamaha, Merc, and Suzuki all make fine engines.

Choose yer poison.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Merc would be my first choice, Yamaha second. I wouldn't even consider any of the others.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
A friend of mine who charters in Sitka has had major failure problems with his big twin Yamahas, averaging a blown powerhead per year. He is going to Suzuki 140s, and says that many others in Sitka now powered by Yamahas are going that route as well. Apparently the Suzuki 140 is a big winner.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
tyee-fisher......the best deal I could get for a new motor was at mid columbia marina in hood river, I called all over for prices and they are the cheapest.(541)386-2477

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, Yamaha makes a big 2 stroke, the HPDI (high pressure direct injection). I have one and love it, zero problems to date. FYI, I run mostly fresh water with some salt excursions thrown in. I would probably look for one specifically designed for salt if that was going to be my major usage. I've had one small Suzuki that was new back in 95. I won't do that again but from what I have heard, the larger 140 is a nice motor.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Merc, Yammaha. Both are great motors, and they both share parts, Merc usues yammahas stuff and yammaha uses merc stuff..
The yammaha motors has a power head made by mercury

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Tyee-Fisher, mercs, yamahas.honda, suzies,evenrudes, you name it they are all a good reliable engine. How they run is determined by who sets them up. If the mech knows his stuff and does things as they should be the engines will all run top notch. A good engine is soon ruined by a knothead mech. When i buy a new engine i always ask if the engine will start on the first and no more than the 3rd pull. If they have a tank i make them show me or i wont buy it. If it will start quick when you buy it chances are it is set like it should be. You then need to take care of it by running the correct mix and correct plugs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just bought a Yamaha 75 4 cycle. Before that I had a Yamaha 70HP. 2 cycle and before that a Yamaha 40HP 2 cycle all on different boats, NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THEM
I did own a OMC product a few times and they were nothing but greif, I will never buy a OMC product again.
I also have a Suzski 8 HP 2 cycle that I use as a kicker and it has been a great little motor.
Browns Landing put my Yamaha 75 4 cycle on my boat, and I have no complaints, matter of fact I got excellent service !!
Good luck..........Big Dave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts