IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I remember last year fishing for URB's up by Frenchman's. I had floated out twice and had two salmon in the box. This guy pulls up beside and starts fishing. He put out two rods. He then had a blow up doll that he put a shirt and cap on and sat her in the seat next to him :shocked:

Their were at least a dozen or better boats in the area and he never showed a bit of concern. Man this world is full of

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Geek -thanks for making this political :shrug: Chris - that's creative enough I probably wouldn't have called the cops either. I'd buy her a license though....

Andy - I do have a VHF - hadn't seen the cops on the water all day though and really thought they'd check their voicemail. I'm trying to get ahold of them today to find out how to get someone out there quicker in the future. Maybe the poacher hotline would have helped? (I got a new celphone and forgot to re-program it in). We need to get this guy off the water, not only does he cheat, but he catches fish - that's even worse :mad:

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Chris,

You keep telling stoies like that and your going to be fishing in Scott's boat. :tongue:

You some kind of
magnet? :wink:

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,567 Posts
Killertrayor, thanks for sharing. I can tell you that the police will respond to VHF hails. I have done it many times at Bonneville when people insist on anchoring their boats in a way which endangers others.

CG, Sherriff and State police will all respond to

'Any law enforcement on channel 16, this is the fishing vessel 'Your boat name here'.'

Once you contact them, they will suggest another channel to switch to. I usually then give them my cell # and get it off the open airwaves.

This guy does his poacher thing without fear because no one challenges his behavior.

We can change that as KT has shown us the way.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
How about someone taking his picture next time. I certinly would not hesitate doing it.

I will keep my eyes open for him.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I must be a
magnet, I'm friends with you arn't I :grin:

That was a true story about the blow up doll. I had two others in my boat in shock as well.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
A better number to call than the sheriff is the TIPS line. The State Police are generally charged with game enforcement. The sheriffs tend to do boat enforcements.

If you use a cell, call Oregon: 1 800 452-7888

But if you have the VHF, Pilar is right, you're likely to get the fastest response that way...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Waterdog is just upset because that was him with the blow up doll! :hoboy:

Scott

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If someone gets a picture of this guy in his boat
please mail it or e-mail it to me.I'm president of the Southwest Washington Anglers and will bring this up at our meeting next week !!
Thanks.This is not what we're about just the opposite .This gives us a bad name we don't deserve.
Bob :mad:

[ 04-10-2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Dawhunt - I'll take the camera with me this weekend. I see him out there all the time so it shouldn't be hard to get a picture. For what it's worth, the decal looks old and I doubt he's a member. I didn't mean to give you bad publicity, I just mentioned the decal because it's a very distinguishable mark, visible from a long distance (I've often wondered whether it was some sort of "official" boat as it looks like a game biologist decal or something from a distance)and I wanted other ifishers to be able to recognize his boat.

[ 04-10-2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thank you,maybe someone in the club will know if he's not a member and we can get him to take the decals off.We won't tolerate this in our club
when you've got a club decal on your representing the club as a whole and we're a lot better then that.
Thanks again.
bob

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I was fishing in a small 3 boat hogline out at Bachelor Island yesterday morning (two rows below 5 cents) and when I pulled up, the boat inside of me was fishing two rods with only one guy in the boat. He didn't pull the rod in when I pulled up. I thought this was pretty brazen, but I wasn't in the mood to start any trouble so I tolerated it. Because he was so close to me, I didn't want him to overhear me calling the Sheriff (he's local and I didn't want anything to happen to my boat either)so I just let him fish. Well, he happens to be in the slot and catches two nice springers by 11:00 a.m. When he nets the second one and tells us it was a keeper (I wouldn't doubt it if this outlaw kept unclipped fish) I reel my line in and prepare to move over into the slot when he leaves. The boat inside him had cought two fish also and I hadn't had a single take down. Well, he proceeds to tie up again and I say "You're not really going to keep fishing are you" and he says "I've still got 2 summer steelhead and a sturgeon to catch!" I called BS and told him what I thought of that. He just sat there and continued to fish with the same two wrapped kwikfish he cought his salmon on. I moved downriver below him and promptly called the Columbia County Sheriff. Of course, I couldn't get a live person and had to leave a message. I never did get a call back and he kept fishing for another 3 hours and then finally picked up and left. I never saw the Sheriff and they never called me.

For those of you that fish this area, he was in a really old 14'white fiberglass boat (I'd guess 50's vintage) with a 33 horse Johnson (60's style) and small Mariner kicker - I'd guess 4 horse. On the side of his boat he has a round decal (about a foot in diamater) that says "Southwest Washington Anglers". He has a crummy old folding top on the boat and it has a windshield but no open bow. His name is Mike and I've heard it's his brother's boat. The number on the boat is WN 019 KB. Apparently he lives right on the water in the marina at Ridgefield. I've seen him out there numerous times. If you see him, he'll undoubtedly be fishing two rods by himself and I'd appreciate it if you call the police on him.

[ 04-10-2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Do you have a VHF? Give them a call, OSP, Clark or Columbia county is allways in the area. I have seen this crook out there myself, but he was only fishing 2 rods until the hog line started to fill in.

I will definately be looking out for this crook!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Joe,
Thanks for having the integrity to point out to the guy that he was breaking the law. I also think it is good to publicize his description. Everyone can be on the lookout for this poacher!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also some something disturbing close to that area. It was an open boat about 15' with camo paint, outboard and kicker also w/ camo paint.

I was trolling in the columbia near the lighthouse by the mouth of the multnomah channel. This boat was also trolling, then the two guys in the boat pulled the boat up to the beach. One guy got out with a fish and took it up over the burm of sand into a grass area where he was out of sight. A few minutes later he came back to the boat with fillets.

A few minutes later I went to check out what he had left there (I thought maybe something w/ an adipose fin?). But all I saw was blood, guts and some eggs, the rest was missing.

Besides being illegal, its hazardous to dogs that might find what he left there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Webdog.... was this on Saturday? I saw the same description of a boat anchored up at Willow Bar, beach his boat and carry his fish up the beach. There was two guys in a open boat, motor and boat was all camoed. I left right as this was going on so I did not see the outcome! Your story just sounds too similar to something I also saw.

~SK~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts