IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the water in the river's as low as they are, where would be the place to go if you wonted to get a nice chromer? plunking or drifting. the clack is where i would prefer but that might be asking alot.

any idea's ?

thanks in advance.... :grin:

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
S-O-M

Hey if the Clacks your river, fish it.

I never try to come off on this site as an an expert on anything but I do know for a fact that there are still chrome springers and summer run metal heads in the Clack. You may not be able to get em the same way you did last time you fished the river but they are there. The one thing I believe in is the fact that if you get out and pound the water success will happen. Be versital.

I have to laugh at alot of the posts that are currently going on about June chinook fishing in the Columbia. 90% of the guys are going to fish them from the 205 bridge up because thats what guys are posting. They will get fish but there will be alot of stress involved with who can get to the hot spot first. Me I'm going below I5 where the preasure is light and I can do my own thing. If I get a fish it will be special. If not no big deal. I have enough self confidence that we will put a fish or two in the boat.

Any way back to the Clack...Go light and fish the water where the fish can get oxygen. Faster water with small gear and at the upper end of the slots.
I would fish McIver to Barton.

Just my opinion...

Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
STEEL-A-MATIC fish wherever you feel most comfortable in that system...the Willamette is expecting a large run of Summers above the dam this year and springers are available too....Pearl... :whazzup: :hoboy: 90% of fishermen fish above 205 because 90% of fish that enter the Columbia system will swim past the Willamette :tongue: Stress?? Hey...i'm fish'n
:laugh:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Steel-a-maniac...
I would go on the clack, hike down to the mouth of Eag-ck and cross over to the Island... fish the tail out of the wall with cory and Small sand shrimp #2 hook.. One of the best steelhead holes in the river... Nailed um there.. then bust out the bobber and eggs and hit the deep hole just below for salmom... its a great silvers in the fall! Next go to Mciver and fish the hole just below the upper launch... great oppertunites this time of year... Oh fish Cedar Ck on the sandy. Great steelhead water.. fish behind every rock with blue fox spinners... Oh also go to the N. Santiam and float from Greens-Jefferson... back bounce that 1st deep hole or anchor and bobber and egg it... Nailed um there.. Nothings more crome than a Trask river spring king!... fish the lower river with bobber and eggs... those fish can't get enough of good cured "rocket red" eggs... You can plunk an Warrendale... a classic summer fishery.. Think "PINK SPINGLOW'S" or up at Tanner Ck.. Think "GREEN SPINGLOW's" Man.. you should have good luck and any of those spots.... I know where I will be, with my blue wee-warts :wink:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Fast Action, you said a mouth full but you're right about all of them.

This time of year there's just so many places to try and not enough time to try them all.

Here's my peice of advice-if you do fish one of the rivers (Clack, Sandy, Trask, Santiam....) don't waste too much time in one spot hoping the fish will bite, usually if they are biters they're going to bite. And with these flows the fish wont be comeing to you, you have to move to them. Cover some water.

If you are doing everything right, most the time a river salmon or steelhead will take a bait or lure right off the bat once you present it right to them. The exception is when there are fish stacked up in a hole and everyone and their brother is pounding them, then most he time they will have lock jaw and your best bet is to pick off the biters first thing in the morning.

[ 06-19-2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: David Johnson ]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guy's....
it's always nice to learn from fellow i-fishers, and to hear what they think.

now if i could only be as good as "DAVID JOHNSON"
i would have it made...... :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts