IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I'm not retired yet but getting closer. It seems like all I can do lately is think about fishing, plan a fishing trip or go fishing. So what I am looking for is the perfect spot to live in the NW for a guy that has a driftboat and sled and wants to fish everyday. My plan is to fish Monday thru Friday and rest on the weekends. Where would you live? I'm not a rich man so I have to watch the pocketbook. I will have enough money to buy gas and bait. If you know of a place for sale let me know.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Congratulations on the Lamiglas win!

I am tempted to say the oregon coast around Tillamook. Actually anywhere from Florence to Nehalem Bay. But you would have less pressure and some great fishing on the Southern Oregon coast. Rogue, Chetco, Sixes rivers to name a few, plus the ocean. Temperatures are about ten degrees warmer all winter!

[ 06-11-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
540 Posts
Heck you live in a perfect spot, when I retired I moved to Wilsonville. Close to the Clack, Columbia and the coast at Garibaldi or Warrenton. Can fish everyday from here....Roger

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Rags

I've been thinking about the same thing for a few years now and around the Nehalem would be my choice if affordable. Gives you access to the whole north coast and the Columbia.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would have to go for Sodaotna, Alaska from
May 15th to November 1st. All the major salmon runs, halibut, huge razor clams, and a little moose hunting at the end.
Then spend the rest of the year in Tualatin where you have fall chinook at the coast, then winter steelhead in the Clack and Sandy plus others. From there you get into springers but by the time they slow down its time to go back to Soldotna for the June king run. Could life get any better?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I retired early this year. After considering everywhere from Waldport to Anacortes we finally chose Orchards. Here are a couple reasons for that selection.

1. We have friends and family in the Portland area.

2. I'm familiar with fishing in this area. And there are plenty of opportunities here.

3. I am currently exploring many new opportunities in southern Washington.

4. I don't have to pay 9% income tax to Oregon.

5. Washington has a sales tax but I can still shop in Oregon.

Item 1, 4, and 5 were a big part of the decision. :smile:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I would say Tillamook area you have many rivers to drift or use your sled in tide waters. there is the Tillamook bay and Nehalem bay, not to far from the columbia estury for B-10 fishing and sturgeon fishing. Ok hunting in that area if your willing to get out of your truck also.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Rags, I just retired. :dance: Bought a boat and am trying to learn how to use it. I'm not that far away from you, and I'm staying put. Great fishing all around us. A lot of non-Oregonians would give their "port filbert" to live where you live. My wife hated all the rain in Tillamook after 8 years so we came back here. It's still only an hour away. Good luck with those itchy feet. Hope you find the cure.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Ah...a Rags to riches story...

First thing is you want to be able to tie the boat up to the house so you are not trailering every day.

You want to fish the major long seasons, Spring, Summer and Fall Chinook without trailering so you want a spot within a boat ride of Oregon City, Multnomah Channel, Sandy/River Camas.

You can then dabble in the hot spots, Astoria, Tillamook etc. and you've got good spots for the drift boat, Sandy and Clackamas close.

That covers you from March to November. Slowest times are July and August and you have super Walleye and Bass fishing as filler there though you do have Summer Steelhead. Plus you've got some Sturgeon and Shad spots in that radius.

So get the Rand-McNally and draw a circle that has OC, MC, Sandy/Camas on it and see where it centers.

Brion

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Reedsport, my grandpa and aunt lived there for years after retirement. The salmon and steelhead fishing is great, there are stripers, lots of shad and sturgeon. You are only a few miles from Winchester bay and the ocean so crabbing can be done easily. The cost of property and living is still very resonable my aunt sold her house last year for 18K with a shop, car port and it was right on the river. In another 30 years this is where I am going.

·
Registered
22,377 Posts
Boy John, you are pretty close to everything here where you are now. I think Crabbys suggestion of the south coast area is a good one. But there sure is lots of stuff to do here. Clackamas, Sandy, Lewis, Kalama, Cowitz, Trask, Wilson, Naccanicum, Tillamook, Tillamook Bay, Wind River, Drano are all with in the hour and a half drive.

Not to mention Astoria, B10, The ocean Depoe Bay, Newport for ocean fishing. Why move? You got it all now. Shoot we have'nt even talked about the lakes within two hours of here either. But then again it would be one less fisherman in my favorite fishing holes so I think California is a great place to live. :grin: :wink:

What a perplexing decision you have. Gee....where to go today. Guess I'll just reach into a hat and pull out a choice. I envy you John. :tongue: Congrats on your pending retirement. :dance:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Crabbait's got it - the southern coast. Think Umpqua River.

It's a year-round fishery for something, chinook and stripers early on, chinook and shad this time of year, smallmouth all summer, coho in the fall, plus sturgeon (they tell me) and steelhead. It's driftable, and yet there's plenty of places to run your sled. And I haven't even mentioned the estuary around Reedsport and Winchester Bay.

Look for property around Drain or Elkton or Scottsburg, or even Roseburg if you want a few more amenities.

Can I go too? :grin:

Skein

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
1. Gold Beach (Rogue) That's where I've always said I'd like to retire.

2. St. Helens (Columbia, Cowlitz, Mult. Channel, Astoria Estuary and Ocean) Where I live now and probably where I'll retire.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Good topic, one I ponder regularly :hoboy: !

Might have to have multiple go to locations. San Juans are great, Oregon coast awesome, central oregon has a great deal of excitement. Here you go - think like a turtle
- put your home on your back!! - I'm talking about a biiiiiiiig nice motor home with plenty-o-juice to get your boat wherever you want. Now that would be living (IMHO). :grin:

PeterMac

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Rags
Because my kid has been stationed at Brookings for almost 7 years now, I've gotten to spend plenty of time in the area and I really like it. There is quite a selection of rivers to fish, plus the ocean, light hunting pressure, anything grows there. Brookings real estate is pretty pricey. Gold Beach real estate is cheaper but it is pretty windy there.
The shortcoming that I see as I get up in years is geting out for medical care. It is 2 hours away for decent medical care. Skiens suggestion of mid coast makes good sense for access. Pro and con.
We're thinking the same thing 3-5 years down the road. Saw a beat up waterfront duplex at Arch Cape for $650,000 but it didn't have parking for the boat. :laugh:

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you are thinking of heading to washington for retirement. I would retire in Sequim it is near a lot of great fishing and only gets about 10 inches of rain a year( banana belt) You have the forks area that has great stealhead and salmon fishing in the rivers out their. You dont want to live their it is a rain forest and averages 140 inches of rain a year. It is also close to neah bay and sekiu for great salmon and halibut fishing in the saltwater. If your a hunter the elk out their are rosevelt elk alot bigger than the yellowstone elk everywhere else in our state. Thinking about it you beter not move out their. I want it all to my self when I retire. Only 24years to go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.