IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year of fishing in Oregon.
What I hope to land are, Steelheads, Salmon and if possible a good size Sturgeon.

Where can I go to fish off the banks?
I have a faire knowledge of the Sandy, Willamete and Clackamas River.

1. Is the Williame Dam pool a good spot for Sturgeon.
2. What are good baits for Steelheads?

3. When is the best time to go?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sunfish~

I don't recall reading your traditional story. You'll get a bunch more help if you take a moment and tell a good fishing story. The rivers you've mentioned are good all around fishing for both Steelhead, Salmon and Sturgeon. Story please.....

·
Registered
532 Posts
i agree with fisherfld,,, story 1st, then the goods

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Bankin' it for those species, I'd say you should hit the northern beaches of Sauvie Island. Think: senior citizens as an educational resource.

:cheers: howdy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those who replied.

Story:
I walked from I-84 to the mouth of the Sandy, thinking it will meet in less than a mile or so.
Not knowing the area well, I took the venture, to find it's closed to 2 miles. walked all day, by the time I got back to my car I had maybe half an hour to fish. Saw couple if anglers fishing under the I-84 bridge, thinking why are they fishing here, there's no fish here, all the boats roaring pass, plus the water is so shallow. no way. So I approached the fellas and inquired what they were fishing for, steelheads! I'm thinking here? no way. They were packing up as I approcahed them, since my pole was ready to fish and since I came out to fish. I figure I give it a try. on my 8th cast I hooked a native 7-8 pounder, hearts starts pumping, took me close to 30 minutes to reel the beauty in. It was a wonderful experience. It was good to see he was still healthy releasing him.

I went fisnhing for shad last night, brought my daughter with me, hard to fish when all she wants is throw rocks, reel in and crying for fish. We managed to hook 1 shad which was all worth the trip.

Thanks again for those who replied. I think I just have to get out, read books, and ask local anglers.

Next on the list.
1. Chinook (Clackamas this Sunday and Monday)
2. Sturgeon.(hopefully when it opens in Columbia)

It's hard when you and banking from the shores.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you do a search of the different archives you will find more information than you will be able to digest. Spend some time and do some reading. You will find it worth your while...

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts