IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had several boats over the years but none so costly that I had to finance them. Now that I have a real boat, I was wondering if there is competative boat insurance policies or are they all the same.

I don't know where to look for boat insurance so I took what the bank had to offer. There should be more competative rates out there. Somewhere.

Please feel free to offer some information on where the buy and what to watch for as I am new to this boating insurance policy. I know that our homeowners insurance policy offers small limits of coverage for boating equipment but that is not good enough.

Is there a site on line that we can brouse for this type coverage and if so does it offer better rates that the Bank?

Perhaps, as a group we may come up with some helpful information on boat insurance. All the money we save can go to plugs and gas for the boats.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
There was a thread not too long ago about this. I'll bet it's still on page two or three or so...quite a few responses. I'm contacting an agent in LO, but I need some different insurance because of the business use. Call me at work if you want and I'll give you a phone number...I'm at 503-221-8231.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Snapshot....I have my boatowners insurance with State farm...Of course it depends on how much the boat is worth but i have them all together..house..truck...boat..motorcycle...life..mortgage disability...Look there first i'd say. My fish catching machine :tongue: is only worth about 6600 and it costs me an adipose under $100 a year :smile: Watercraft liability 300,000 (each occurrence) Watercraft Med payments 1,000 (each person). 100 deductable. Never had to use it but i'm covered. Shop around :smile:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We have State Farm also. Our boat was $12,000 and it isn't much over $100 a year with the same limits as mrdorkfish.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
One boat with State Farm, the other with Northern Marine Insurance Company.
State Farm wouldn't insure Pacific Mistress because she's worth too much (about $170k).

Northern Marine Insurance Inc.
19630 - 76th AVE
Lynnwood, Washington 98036-5843
1-800-553-3624

Mike Miller is the guys' name. Real good to work with ... honest and very helpful.
I highly recommend him.

-assAssin-

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I will check out a couple of these leads. I was not interested in switching my house and cars from GEICO or is it GECCO? I may have to call State Farm anyway as they sound pretty good here. I am even more sure that I am paying to much to Allstate at about $260 a year for a little supervee.

Bill, I will give you a call and offer a boat ride so you can sport those wades from up North.

FishAssassin- you have a boat worth 170K and you call it a boat. You gotta take a second look as I think you may find out it is a whole bunch more than a boat. What do you do with the 150' that you are not fishing with? :shrug: :dance: I hope.

Thanks again to all of you.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I know a guy in hillsboro that is a state farm agent that is great. If intersted email me and I could give you his number.......chris

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Snapshot, as with all property insurance make sure you understand whether the policy you're purchasing is for insuring the depreciated 'market value' or the more expensive 'replacement value' - see it in writing.

Folks really get shafted on this point.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Come on now!! It's only a little 30 footer! The insuranced on that beastie
runs me around $1800 a year! Costs less than $130 for the Dory through State
Farm ... but then I've only got the Dory insured for about 12-13 thousand bucks.

-assAssin-

Originally posted by snapshot:
FishAssassin- you have a boat worth 170K and you call it a boat. You gotta take a second look as I think you may find out it is a whole bunch more than a boat. What do you do with the 150' that you are not fishing with? :shrug: :dance: I hope.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Hey guys, I just changed from Farmers
at about 285 a year to Pemco at 175 a year :wink: this is at 25k plus loss of stuff. This is with home owners, truck and safety cert. Had them a whole month and havn't had a claim yet :cheers: , God forbid I have one. I'll follow up with a service report.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts