IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dave's Killer Bread thread got me going, and I didn't want to hijack it, but WHERE can you get a good sourdough bread in the Salem to Portland area?( I'll DRIVE for great sourdough at this point) I've lived here 8 months and I still can't find suitable sourdough stick bread (like for a spaghetti dinner). The stuff the grocery stores around here call "sourdough" is a joke. It is one of the only things that makes me want to go back.

I am also struggling to find a good bakery, (cakes, pastries, rolls, cinnamon buns...) I know I don't "need" it, but I NEED it.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Portland French bakery makes a sourdough that uses real starter. If you call the bakery they can hook you up with a no yeast sourdough. They sell a 5 pack brown and serve petite baggette that you can buy at Costco. Check out their website for other options and contact info on where you can buy.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Not trying to be a wise guy but the only place you can buy San Francisco style sourdough is in San Francisco. SF sourdough IMO is the best there is. The bacterias in sourdough starter are different wherever you go and each has it's own unique flavor. Similar but not the same. Sourdough in Alaska is different from sourdough in Seattle, Portland, etc. Even if you took a batch of sourdough started from SF to Portland the sourdough would change over a short time.

While it's hard to find fresh sourdough like you get in SF you can find some decent sourdough at Fred Meyer's. We buy the small rounds and wrap them in tinfoil and warm them whenever we're having steamers and crab which we have quite often in the summer and early Fall months when we're lucky enough to find our pots full.

·
Registered
17,876 Posts
Not trying to be a wise guy but the only place you can buy San Francisco style sourdough is in San Francisco. SF sourdough IMO is the best there is. The bacterias in sourdough starter are different wherever you go and each has it's own unique flavor. Similar but not the same. Sourdough in Alaska is different from sourdough in Seattle, Portland, etc. Even if you took a batch of sourdough started from SF to Portland the sourdough would change over a short time.

While it's hard to find fresh sourdough like you get in SF you can find some decent sourdough at Fred Meyer's. We buy the small rounds and wrap them in tinfoil and warm them whenever we're having steamers and crab which we have quite often in the summer and early Fall months when we're lucky enough to find our pots full.
Bingo - one of the things I have missed for years up here is good sourdough. I used to work on the warf up the road from one of the bakeries. Used to get a fresh crab cocktail and a warm loaf of bread for lunch all the time - yum late bake extra sour - warm from the oven

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I am sure they have things in San Francisco to make sourdough bread that is found no where else in the world :hoboy::passout:.
Find the right bakery, and you will find great SF style sourdough bread.

Fishalot

·
Registered
328 Posts
Beaverton Bakery does not have sourdough but is good for all of the other things you are looking for: (cakes, pastries, rolls, cinnamon buns).

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Having moved up here 30 yrs ago from the SF Bay area, good sourdough bread was the main thing I missed. Best I have found is Ken's Artisan Bakery bread on NW21st in Portland. We usually buy multiple loaves and then freeze them. Great reheated @350 for 18-20'. :twocents:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I am sure they have things in San Francisco to make sourdough bread that is found no where else in the world :hoboy::passout:.

Fishalot
Nope, a visiting N California relative is the only way to get it, really. Nothing is close

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Try the Bread Board out of Falls City. I think they have some vendors in the Salem/Portland area. I despise sourdough but I like theirs. It is fire baked though.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
This is exactly what I've heard and read. When I was living in Klamath Falls, a friend made some sourdough bread. It tasted like a basic white bread, not very 'sour' at all. It would be interesting to do a side-by side taste test of sourdough breads made in different regions.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Fishalot
True......as long as that bakery happens to be in San Francisco. It isn't about "things," it's about the bacteria in the starter and those bacteria need a certain climate to live in. You don't find many date or coconut palms growing around Point Barrow, Alaska, either.

When I lived in Juneau I often visited my parents near the Bay Area and I'd buy a few rounds of San Francisco sourdough to take home. One we'd eat right away and the rest we'd freeze. Once frozen, tho, it wasn't quite as good but it wasn't all that bad, either.

When I lived in Alaska I always had a batch of starter going in the kitchen. I liked making sourdough pancakes and they were great. I haven't made them in years.

·
Registered
17,876 Posts
I don't think it's bacteria, I think it is the wild yeast that is in the air and each area has its own unique microscopic flora and fauna. I've tried a lot of sourdough here and it just isn't the same.

My wife makes a killer sourdough raised waffle - light and crispy - served with real Canadian Maple - oh my!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
San Fransisco sourdough culture is a combination of saccharomyces (yeast) and Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis (bacteria).

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The sourdough in S.F area is the best.Still has some of the original mixtures from the old country,it has just been added to.Seems like it would be watered down by know.Still is a treat to get some.My wife gets some sourdough bread from Rays food place it is made by united bakery in sacramento,its close but still missing something,maybe it should come in a paper bag.We have had some good bread from a seattle bakery also that was ok.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Nope, a visiting N California relative is the only way to get it, really. Nothing is close
My neighbor was born and raised in SF, his sourdough is top of the line. He said he used to work in a bakery when he was growing up. He stated that it is all in the ingredients and preparation.

Fishalot:)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I ate a hot dog at a Giants baseball game in SF a couple years ago, the bun was sourdough. Unbelievable. :flag2:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
My neighbor was born and raised in SF, his sourdough is top of the line. He said he used to work in a bakery when he was growing up. He stated that it is all in the ingredients and preparation.

Fishalot:)

Sorry, if you don't have part of the Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis , it ain't the same, impossible.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
As stated...it's location, location, location. I do the farmer's market on the coast, and the starter I get to grow down there isn't that good. On the other hand, I get really good starter going here in The dalles, seems to be very quick growing too.

Try it yourself!! Not that hard really. A good ceramic crock is best.

1 Cup flour
1 Cup warm water

Mix it together w/ a wooden spoon, I avoid metal (may be a wive's tale, but works for me) until well blended. I heat up the crock a little before I add the ingredients, and then set on a warm towel as well. Feed once a day w/ 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup warm water, and keep in a warm part of the house. You should start to see bubbles in a couple of days. Keep up your feeding process and in a few more days you should get a good starter going.

After that, keep what you don't use in the fridge. Feed once every two weeks and replenish when you use some. Bring to room temp. before use each time. You never know what you'll get in your area until you try.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts