IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a fly rod. Where is the "best" place to buy a blank, from the manufacturer, local shop, internet, or in person?

How can you be sure you are getting quality materials?

I have built casting and spinning rods, but never a fly rod.

What questions do I need to ask the vendor?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Don't pay retail for your blanks or components.... we have access to all types of blanks and compenents and can save you $$$$

Lamiglas, Loomis, Rogue, rainshadow, etc.

[ 05-04-2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: TH ]

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like Angler's Workshop in Woodland, Washington. The people are very helpful and you can actually see everything you want at once.

The also have a website, do a search for Anglers workshop and you should find them.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you're just getting into this, I'd suggest finding a local flyshop that also builds rods, and test casting a bunch of them. Places that won't let you test cast don't want your money, and any fly shop worth anything at all will let you test cast rods.

Try a bunch of shops, a bunch of rods, and buy from a good place that deserves your money.

"quality" materials are the same in a fly rod as any rod; lightweight, sensitive, good action, all that stuff. Buying w/o trying is a fast-track to your second purchase replacing the first ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
floatnfish,
Thanks for the "Heads Up".
Good advice.

McDuck85

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I second Anglers Workshop. Have bought a number of blanks from them and found them all to be high quality blanks.

mgm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts