IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best ways to make an avid fisherman like myself is to spend it with your children. I can't remeber the first time I went fishing. I was probably a couple of days old knowing my father. For the last 29 years I can say most of my best days have been spent fishing with what I consider my best friend My Father. From being the child running around the lake not pay attention to my rod to the fisherman I have became to today I have to thank my father. It is funny how the roles reverse themselves now it is me telling my father "What you need to do is watch your rod", "Put your rod down and quit reeling it in" and the famous one "Don't worry they will start hitting soon". The classic is sturgeon fishing. When I was about a punk 16 my Dad said "I have a suprise for you in the morning" and being the little 16 year old punk I could not wait for the surprise. Finally he gave in, it was a trip on a charter boat for sturgeon fishing in the SF bay. Well needless to say we did not catch anything, but I was hooked knowing that my time would come to catch a sturgeon. For the next 16 weekends in a row it was me and my father fishing for sturgeon. Well guess what I found a new passion and got the pleasure of boating many keepers. The great part of our adventures was I think my father was more proud of his son catching a keeper than he ever would be of himself catching the hawg of his life. Well my father is a avid trout fisherman and here is a picture he send me of his limit that was a total weight of 21lbs
Maybe is will finally get him on this board to trash me ever chance he gets :grin: .............Chris

ps. Nice high rider hat pops..............

[ 05-08-2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That is a great story. I just enjoy the time spending with the family as much as anything else. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Thats what its all about. I hope in 30 years my kids talk about me the same way! :cheers:

[ 05-08-2003, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: tag-a-long ]

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Those are some dandy rainbows! :cheers: I don't think dads will ever know how greatful we are to them for spending time teaching us the way of life! To all the dads out there:
:bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
now thats one of the nicest limits of trout i have seen. nice story, thats what life is all about.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Great story Chris! Its nice to have a friend to fish with and have fun with. It makes me happy to see Father and Son go have fun together.

I remember fishing only once with my father and it was the greatest time I ever had. I was the only one to catch a fish and I will never forget that day, it was like yesterday!

We take our only daughter fishing everytime she comes home from school. And she'll be coming home the end of this month. She says to her Dad "Take me fishing when I get home" !!

Nothing better than fishing with kids!

Marie

·
Registered
255 Posts
Fishnxtc, well I totally agree with you about fishing with your father some of the greatest memories and times I have ever had with my father have been either fishing or hunting and it seemed when I was going through my punk stage in life when ever we were in the woods or the boat we never argued or got on each others nerves I thank God that we both have such a passion in the outdoors if not who knows where I would of ended up I feel lucky for living close enough to my dad that we are able to fish a 3 or 4 times a week together

·
Registered
532 Posts
great story-- it's odd how as we get older, we really begin reflecting back to the days of old and who we have to thank for who we are, and what we have become-- my hat goes off to all dads, moms, grandparents that take a kid fishing--

i was down at meldrum last night, there was an older gal, that had her two grandsons, probably age 10-12, out fishing. She was in her car while the kids fished, but gave pointers from her window seat. I can only imagin one of those kids or both, will grow old and look back at those days with a smile.

I think of my father and uncle each time I'm out and thankful for those "early years", toting a snot nosed 4 year old around--

and now, My daughter is getting the bug, doesn't want to leave the water til a fish gets landed.. and well, needless to say, with my luck, we could be out there all night long--

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
There is no one I like to fish with more than my dad. He had me fishing from the time I was 2 or 3, some of my fondest memories was when we would go fishing and I would catch the only fish. I would crow about those trips for weeks afterwards. Then, we moved to Alaska and we fished excessively together. I spent the whole summer fishing next to pops, almost every day. Once we moved back to Washington, it hasn't been the same. Dad says that their isn't enough fish around, though every time I take him we hammer fish, and doesn't like to go out as much. Also he really wants to get into walleye :rolleyes: fishing :rolleyes: . I'll do it with him beacuse I love the guy, but gawd is it boring. That and he would rather water ski, actually drive the ski boat, than fish :depressed: . But gripes aside he got me started on the right foot and I have been enjoying the outdoors beacuse of him.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Fishnxtc,

Great story.

I'm on the flip side of that right now...they're in their teens, 15, 17 and 19 and I've got them pretty well hooked on fishing to the point they have their own "theories" on spots to fish and lures to use.

19 year old flys back from East coast college and his first order of biz is getting in a week of Springer fishing...works for me.

If they get half as crazy about fishing as you are, I'm set for life <grin>.

Brion

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't think of a better topic for my first post.

My father took me fishing before I could spell the word and it quickly grew on me. I recall some of my first adventures waking up too darn early and making our way down to the Ft. Bragg jetty to catch rockfish and pluck abalone from the rocks. More often than not, being a rug-rat at the time, I would often crawl into a gunny sack to keep warm soon being evicted for our catch. He and my grandfather would take me up to the Carquinez Straits to fish for stripers and I still have my grandads rod and reel hanging from a wall. Every vacation centered on fishing no matter where we went. I'll never forget my 10th birthday surprise.

We were camping in Morro Bay state park and he announced we would be going on my first party boat trip the next morning. I'd had visions of what it would be like from the story my mom told me of their honeymoon (on a party boat). I didn't sleep a wink all night and we got our limits.

The parents divorced when I was 13 and he and I never fished again. One weekend during my college years we were camping and I brought him the biggest lingcod I've ever speared while skin diving along with 4 nice Abs. He was so happy to know we were having abalone for dinner I had to prompt him to look in my truck 3 times before he finally saw the ling. Years later he finally admitted to me it was the biggest he'd ever seen and that I'd finally outfished him.

My sister wasn't much of a fisherman in those days but somehow I managed to give her the bug. She and her husband would invite me to go fishing with them each time I visited them on the Monterey Bay and I would always land the most or the biggest, many times with neither of them bringing home anything. She always told me she was happy just knowing that the fish were being brought onboard but I knew she had the desire to outfish me. Sunday night they returned from Hawaii and she called to tell me she caught and landed a sizable marlin. Guess I have some competition now!

Howdy All
Greg in Lebanon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts