IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is when used properly landing a fish. The Rod was a North X Northwest Special, 8'6" X 2H, Line wt 10-30 lb. I was using 30# Maxima. I arrived ay my spot about 6:25 am. Back near the end of August. The sun was along the horizon and the mist was in the air. There were just a few other locals chanting in the morning light. I readied up my stuff with a #5 Chartuse Blue Fox and waded into the tide water near the low tide. I was throwing my line where I best estimated the fish were channeling back up to the hatchery. Wow, I must have hit it right on about my 5th cast because I felt bumps all over the place on the muddy bottom with no rocks. I never even gave a jerk and a Huge Tule hooked himself. The fish slowly meandered down stream about 60 feet not putting up that much of a fight, I starting started to real him back in, he didn't like that, he made another run and jumped out of the water revealing himself. The fish was a Monster, slightly showing some Red and had to be in the range of 45-50#'s. I started to real him back in again and tightened my drag slightly to contain him. Then the fish went on his another run nearly spooling my level wind, I attempted to thumb the spool double clutching and nearing burning up my thumb from the heat and when I was on my last layer of line, the rod broke in half, I sounded like a 410 shotgun going off. Then I released my thumb as it was on fire and the fish continued spooling and snapped the line at the knot on the reel, this time it sounded like a .22 going off. An arbor knot might have saved my fish but I learned more about knots after the fact. So now the fish is gone, the upper piece of my rod is gone just above the break. Which occurred just above where the 2 pcs come together. When I got home finally after a long trip on Hwy 30. I looked for the receipt, it not to be found, the rod was only 9 months old. So I'm wondering if I take it back to GI Joes, will they do anything. Maybe they going to say since I don't have the broken piece above or the receipt, I'm out of luck. Well, what if I buy another Rod exactly like it, save the receipt, then take the broken one back. I hate to do that, it kind of goes against my ethics.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Just take the rod back and they'll take care of it.

I returned a rod yesterday that broke on a fish. Remember that Skein?

No receipt No problem.

I could have had a replacement rod but chose to take an in store credit.

Mine was a Quantum Infinity and it was the second rod to break on it's first fish hooked.

GI Joes replaced the first one without a blink of an eye.

Second time around.......Uh; I'll just take a credit thank you.

:cheers: GI Joes :cheers:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Oh ya.............both rods broke 3-4 inches above the ferrel.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Never had one break but if it does it will break on the day the fish are jumping in the boat and i did not bring a spare. :shocked:

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all" :laugh:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Fishplay Thanks :cheers:

I just came back from GI Joes at delta park with a new Berkley Rod. I just went to the counter and told the guy (Brandon) that the rod broke attempting to land a 45lb chinook. He looked at my like "ya sure", but then said go grab another identical rod and will swap it out. I came back with a Berkely that was on sale and asked if I could pay the difference and if berkely was better then North X, He looked at me and said "oh ya". I'm glad at the way this turned out, I really didn't expect GI Joes to give me the time of day.

The story even gets sweeter, I found a berkley upper piece in the brush on the sandy, the upper piece also fits perfectly. It slightly more flexible, this gives me great flexibility, if it breaks again, where rod normally breaks, I've got a spare. GI Joes Rocks! I'm buying all my stuff there. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Your welcome. I saw they had the Berkley Buzz Ramsey rods on sale at 59 bucks.

People can say what they will but I know of quite a few guides using those rods.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
while using it on the river.

While loading it in the car, truck, boat

while walking down a path.

these are the usual places my rod breaks. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I broke a rod on a steelhead yesterday in almost the same fashion as you. Except my fish wasn't making any sort of run. I was just about ready to land it when pow! I knew before I looked what had happened. Now, I know how to handle fishing rods, and I only stretch them to their limits when absolutely nessicary to land a fish. This was not one of those cases. The bend in the rod was the same as many, many fish I had caught before it on the same rod. The rod was a 10'6" St. Croix, and after talking to the guy who I bought it from, it will be interesting to hear what they say the cause was. After reading Rob Allen's post, a lot of what the guy I bought it from said was mentioned there. Another thing that was brought up, was the fact that a simple little ding from dropping the rod on a rock, wacking it against a tree, or falling on it, will most likely eventually lead to a break. This is another possibility. My rod broke about 12-14 inches above the second piece.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
This is highly variable with whatever dumb thing I am doing prior to the 'incident'. As in the most recent case, while showing my stepmom how sensitive the tip of a new ultra light I built for her was and proceded to shear about 4" on the livingroom light fixture. :blush:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts